Guppy Fry Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snork6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all. So my tiger guppy had 60 fry about 2 weeks ago. I have them in a 5 gallon tank and I am about to get a 10 gallon tank for them. I noticed that about 15 or 20 of them have one black dot on their tail. And about 5 have all black fins is this normal I read some where that they don't get their colors till about a month old just thought I would ask thanks.

They can get colors earlier I'm sure. If they have the right conditions such as frequent water changes, ample food and space, they may grow faster. It is usually their size that determines when color shows up. 

It is probably down to their genetics, with the blue guppies we have been breeding for the past 7 years it is nothing to have nearly the entire brood of fry born with colour and rarely do we get any plain/ no colour fry. It works out well for us tho, because from birth we can tell which guppy fry will not be required for future breeding and which ones have potential for furthering our program.

With yours being a tiger and not knowing any of their other genetics I would assume that even the fry that are not showing any colour or markings could end up looking like grass or snakeskin guppies

The half-black ones colour up much earlier than the other colours.

what is a "Tiger" guppy?  The grey is a dominant black gene. Could you post a picture of your male and female so i can tell you what correct strain they are.

This is an old topic I don't need help anymore. But thanks any way

I have 48 Moscow blue fry, it was my first time breeding Moscow's and the first batch were born on 29th November this year. I have noticed that they have already started getting black colouration on their tail fins and that they grow a lot quicker than normal guppies too. So yes I would say it is normal depending on species of guppy, water quality and frequent feeding. Hope that helps a bit :)

Thanks for trying to help! idk if you noticed but this post is almost a year old. so I don't need help any more. All the fry are adults now and have been sold/given away. They turned out to look the same as the mother except one that was red. idk where that came from???

zoeya said:
I have 48 Moscow blue fry, it was my first time breeding Moscow's and the first batch were born on 29th November this year. I have noticed that they have already started getting black colouration on their tail fins and that they grow a lot quicker than normal guppies too. So yes I would say it is normal depending on species of guppy, water quality and frequent feeding. Hope that helps a bit
smile.png

Sorry didn't realise it was a year old. Thats strange, it was proberbly just genetics of your adult fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back