Guppy fry in with pleco babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Curlyloo94

Reaction score
Just had my female guppy have some fry during the night and Iā€™ve also just had a large number of pleco eggs hatch the pleco still have their yolk sacks and am just wandering wether my guppy fry would try to eat them if I put them in the same tank to grow out?
many advice would be appreciated

Are the prolarval plecos larger than the guppy fry? In my experience guppy fry no not inclined to consume other fish that are likely to be attempted in a freshwater aquarium.

No, your guppies will not eat the eggs. Some people think that plecos will eat guppy fry, but thatā€™s a myth. The only time a pleco would eat a fry is if the fry is dead and on the bottom of the tank.

Are the prolarval plecos larger than the guppy fry? In my experience guppy fry no not inclined to consume other fish that are likely to be attempted in a freshwater aquarium.
First one pleco no2 are the guppy fry started putting them in all is fine for now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 210
No, your guppies will not eat the eggs. Some people think that plecos will eat guppy fry, but thatā€™s a myth. The only time a pleco would eat a fry is if the fry is dead and on the bottom of the tank.
Not to worried about the plecos itā€™s more the guppy fry as Iā€™ll be feeding them live feed soon

Never was lucky enough to have pleco fry, are they just hanging together like in your photo? I have a ton of guppy fry, the adults seem to leave them alone. I had to move them out of my shrimp tank and put them into another tank. Started with 1 male and 7 females and in 3 months or so I have over 80 fry now. :fish:

Last edited:
Iā€™d say youā€™re perfectly fine. No worries. :)

Never was lucky enough to have pleco fry, are they just hanging together like in your photo? I have a ton of guppy fry, the adults seem to leave them alone. I had to move them out of my shrimp tank and put them into another tank. Started with 1 male and 7 females and in 3 months or so I have over 80 fry now. :fish:
Yeah we have counted 150 pleco fry so far and I just let dad take care of the eggs once they hatched took dad out and the wee fry have been doing amazing since saved as many guppy fry as I could only counted 17 but there all together now and have had no casualties so far

Bottom line is this. The big fish always eats the little fish. If it will fit in their mouth they will eat it. Even if it don't fit they will try. If they don't prey on each other you have seen the exception and not the rule. If you really want to save some then separate them out into another tank just for them alone. And that's the name of that tune.

Bottom line is this. The big fish always eats the little fish. If it will fit in their mouth they will eat it. Even if it don't fit they will try. If they don't prey on each other you have seen the exception and not the rule. If you really want to save some then separate them out into another tank just for them alone. And that's the name of that tune.
It is just the way of nature

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back