Guppy fry fins squeezed?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jack Mulla

Reaction score
Hello all, I have six guppy fry that are around 2 weeks old. Only until today, I noticed that their caudal fins are squeezed together like when your fingers are squashed together and they keep gulping for air, could that be caused by low temperatures I'm worried that it might be a disease. Could anyone tell me this is normal?

It's normally caused by poor water quality or an external protozoan infection. However, it can also be caused by fungus or bacteria causing the fin to clamp up.

Any chance of some pictures of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Are any of the fish rubbing on objects in the tank?
Did you add anything new to this tank in the last 2 weeks?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
How often are you doing water changes and how much do you change?

It's normally caused by poor water quality or an external protozoan infection. However, it can also be caused by fungus or bacteria causing the fin to clamp up.

Any chance of some pictures of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Are any of the fish rubbing on objects in the tank?
Did you add anything new to this tank in the last 2 weeks?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
How often are you doing water changes and how much do you change?
Oh hey! Forgot to tell you this, my heater failed that day and then after I got my new heater, the clamped fins cleared up. BTW, they were originally in a small breeding container but now they are in a separate tank now. All seems good. They could have been stressed over my zebra danios pecking the plastic.

If the heater failed then it would have been a drop in temperature that caused the clamped fins. Anyway, good to hear they are ok. :)

Most reactions

Back