The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Afternoon all

Looking for some advice on my two guppies with two different issues with their fins.

I lost a guppy about 10 days, I treated the tank for internal bacteria as my gourami was showing symptoms and one guppy wasn't acting right, unfortunately, one guppy didn't make it and I finished the course of medication and everything seems to be ok with the gourami now. Details below:

Tank size: 15 Gallons
tank age: 6 months
pH: 7
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
kH: 110ppm
gH: 210ppm
tank temp: 24

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Yellow guppy has a little white "stone" on its fin, kind of looks like a nerite snails egg.
Blue guppies tail just looks a bit tattered. Is this fin rot?

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

25% water change weekly, last two weeks have been 80-90% changes.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Finished a course of internal bacteria two weeks ago, carbon was removed today. Media in tank is a mix of ceramic and seachem matrix.

Tank inhabitants: 8 harlequin rasboras, 1 dwarf gourami and 2 guppies along with shrimps.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): RCS have recently started breeding like crazy.

Exposure to chemicals:

Will attach photo.

20201106_150109.jpg
20201106_150104.jpg
20201106_150018.jpg

That “egg” may be a tumor, looks to big to be ich IMO.

@Colin_T can help on the fin rot. (Which is clearly evident)

The top case looks a lot like fin rot. @Colin_T is much better at explaining this, but I'll try my best. Especially with guppies salt is extremely helpful and would most likely help (or entirely cure) your case of fin rot. Livebearers can handle and thrive in a larger concentration of salt than most other fish, so the guppy with fin rot would benefit a lot from adding salt to your tank. The exact concentration of salt is often debated, but the website below explains it great and is highly reputable. As for the white bump on the other guppy, I have no idea.

Most reactions

Back