CamG369

Reaction score
Hi

So I have a 105 litre tank, in it is the following

3 neons (less than there should be but I currently can't change that given lockdown)
1 adult female molly
6 molly fry (around 3 months old)
1 guppy

My issue is the guppy has come oddly docile, barely moving and barely swimming. I found it once stuck against my filter intake and another time laying on plastic plants. It's also not eating

I checked my water parameters and they are as follows-

Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 5ppm and ph is around 7 to 7.2

I'm cosfused as to why this has begun to happen. It's been about 3 days since it's eaten and been acting odd (staying still at the top and not swimming much) but the complete reluctance to swim like I said above has just happened today

Any chance of a picture and short 30 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

----------------------
Is the fish still eating?
What does its poop look like?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the tap water before adding it to the tank?

What is the GH (general hardness) of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If it is stuck in your filter intake, it is really weak.

Cover the intake of the filter with panty hose.

Also, answer the questions that @Colin_T and @Crispii asked.

So the hardness according to the supplier website is 33.42 as mg/l. I have no hardness test kit.

I will try to upload a video as soon as I can

No it's not eating, as I said it hasn't done for 3 days so I haven't seen it poop

The water is changed at least every week, and I have not long cleaned the filter however this was done in tank water and is something I've done before. I would say water changes sit at at least around 30%

It sounds like you are doing everything properly.

You might have to upload your video via YouTube.com. We can’t upload videos on TFF for some strange reason.

Ok, I'll try get that done tonight.

In the mean time my best description of it would be it looks aesthetically fine theres no ich spots ornrotting fins. It's just laying about weak.

But I'll get a video or maybe even pictures as a video may not have much use given it's not doing a lot of moving

In the mean time my best description of it would be it looks aesthetically fine theres no ich spots ornrotting fins. It's just laying about weak.

But I'll get a video or maybe even pictures as a video may not have much use given it's not doing a lot of moving
Does it look thin? Red gills? Breathing hard?

Sounds good. What are you feeding them? (Brand)

Does it look thin? Red gills? Breathing hard?
Stupid question coming up but how would I know if its breathing hard? I mean i see its gills moving and they appear to be going pretty fast so i guess
20200421_184928.jpg

Stupid question coming up but how would I know if its breathing hard? I mean i see its gills moving and they appear to be going pretty fast so i guessView attachment 101876
Yes probably should have worded it differently, rapid gill movement, sometimes mouth open looking like panting

If the general hardness is 33 mg/L, (33ppm) that is very soft water and could be the problem. Livebearers like guppies, platies & swordtails need a GH around 200ppm and a pH above 7.0. Mollies need a GH above 250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

You can try to increase the GH with mineral salts like "Rift Lake water conditioner". However, the neons prefer soft water, less than 100ppm.

You can try adding rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the water for 2 weeks and see if it helps. It might but it would only be a temporary measure as the neons can't live in salty water long term.

For long term health, you should either get rid of the neons and add a Rift Lake conditioner to increase the GH to 200ppm, or get another tank and have neons in one tank and the guppies and mollies in another tank. If you keep the guppies and mollies, you will need to increase the GH.

Stupid question coming up but how would I know if its breathing hard? I mean i see its gills moving and they appear to be going pretty fast so i guessView attachment 101876
Pretty looking fish.

You will know if it’s breathing fast, if it seems to be ‘Gasping’ for another breath. And if every time it breaths, it’s whole body moves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back