Guppy cross?

Crunchycrouton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so, I bought a pair of blue Moscow guppies a while ago, the female was already pregnant. Since DECEMBER iā€™ve been raising the babies, done everything the same as the other batches of fry i had, and this is the slowest growing batch Iā€™ve had. They turned out tiny. They are fully mature, but the smallest guppies Iā€™ve ever had. They swim around and eat, theyā€™re healthy. Anyone know what they could be mixed with? And again, the mother was a pure blue Moscow guppy. This is only 5 of the 16 Iā€™m keeping in my personal tanks.

Attachments

• 2B9283C4-81C2-4E96-B57D-E6482B699505.png
    2B9283C4-81C2-4E96-B57D-E6482B699505.png
    507.5 KB · Views: 52
  • A109398C-DA95-4275-A21C-067588D29369.png
    A109398C-DA95-4275-A21C-067588D29369.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 47
  • C8C0DD17-868B-4C0D-9B33-F56E0B119BC0.png
    C8C0DD17-868B-4C0D-9B33-F56E0B119BC0.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 57
  • F0770BAD-FB70-45BA-8168-6D011E7461C1.jpeg
    F0770BAD-FB70-45BA-8168-6D011E7461C1.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 48
Did the seller keep the fish in with only other blue Moscow guppies? If there were other strains in the same tank, the father could have been any of the strains in there.

Did the seller keep the fish in with only other blue Moscow guppies? If there were other strains in the same tank, the father could have been any of the strains in there.
There were only blue Moscow guppies in there, I think they were mixed before they were put into the sell tank. I'm not upset about it or anything, I could just buy more. But I do find it interesting.. I put them in my 7 gallon because the were so small. Probably 2-3 centimeters.

If I look at their phenotype, they're half blacks or also known as tuxedo. The regular full moscows are totally colored till the tip of the nose. But HB's are the original moscows like they looked like back in the 1970's. Ever since the full moscows have been introduced, the original moscows were called half blacks. And the full moscows were called moscows.
Yours seem stunted. It could be that ar regular half black has been mixed up within the line that you get this result. There are people that use normal HB females with full moscow guppies. For both strains do carry the moscow gene but the other dominant and the other one recessive. I really do think, that this may have happened.
But too much inbreeding can cause stunted guppies as well.

Last edited:
If I look at their phenotype, they're half blacks or also known as tuxedo. The regular full moscows are totally colored till the tip of the nose. But HB's are the original moscows like they looked like back in the 1970's. Ever since the full moscows have been introduced, the original moscows were called half blacks. And the full moscows were called moscows.
Yours seem stunted. It could be that ar regular half black has been mixed up within the line that you get this result. There are people that use normal HB females with full moscow guppies. For both strains do carry the moscow gene but the other dominant and the other one recessive. I really do think, that this may have happened.
But too much inbreeding can cause stunted guppies as well.
Oh okay, that makes sense. I knew about HB, but honestly never thought of them being a mix. Now that I think about it that's probably what happened. And I don't know about the inbreeding problem, because I didn't selective breed these fish myself.

These are full blue moscows:
DSCF7079a.jpgDSCF3077.JPG
And these are HB gold:
DSCF3241.JPG
And this is a normal HB (formerly known as moscow):
IMG_9692a.jpg

Wow, do you think if I were to buy some new females (to help the inbreeding situation, which I'm pretty sure that's why they are stunted) of HB Moscow I could sell them? Would people want them?
Depends! Do they want full moscows or half blacks? Once a HB has been used again, te majority of the of the male offspring will be HB instead of full moscow.

Depends! Do they want full moscows or half blacks? Once a HB has been used again, te majority of the of the male offspring will be HB instead of full moscow.
I don't know what they want, once I get a couple more strains and get a good fry I wanted to sell them. In your opinion, would it be worth it to keep this line going?

I don't know what they want, once I get a couple more strains and get a good fry I wanted to sell them. In your opinion, would it be worth it to keep this line going?
If you select well in the offspring, you could have some beautiful specimens to sell.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back