guppy care

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

schizo_fish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im thinking about setting up a new 36" x 12" x 15" aquarium, in which i am considering breeding guppies, so i have a few questions before i start.
1. What water conditions can a guppy withstand? (such as PH level, etc, etc.)
2. What is the age at which a guppy reaches sexual maturity?
3. How long is pregnancy for a guppy?
4. Can they become pregnant again straight after giving birth?
5. Do guppies generally give birth to both male and female fry, and how do i distinguish between the sexes?
6. What can i feed guppy fry on, and what is the best food for guppies in general?
7. What sort of conditions may i need for guppies, and their young? (such as plants or hiding places)
8. I may also include neon tetra's in my aquarium, would they be suitable with guppies?
9. I am also thinking of getting some form of catfish or similar type (nothing that is too large), to help with any algae problems i may have, could these be suitable with both guppies and tetra's?
10. What temperature is suitable for guppies? would this be any good for the tetra's and catfish?

If anyone can think of anything else that may be usefull please let me know.

thankyou for your help. ;)

Sorry that no one has been around to help you.

I should know the answers to most of your questions as I keep guppies but I tend to let hubby take care of the technical side but I will answer as much as I can.

1. What water conditions can a guppy withstand? (such as PH level, etc, etc.)Haven't got a clue.
2. What is the age at which a guppy reaches sexual maturity?.)Not sure but I know it is quite young.
3. How long is pregnancy for a guppy?.)About 4 weeks.
4. Can they become pregnant again straight after giving birth?.)Yes.
5. Do guppies generally give birth to both male and female fry, and how do i distinguish between the sexes?.)After a while they take on the sex characteristics.Someone else should be able to help on this.
6. What can i feed guppy fry on, and what is the best food for guppies in general?.)I use flake which I just crush up for babies.
7. What sort of conditions may i need for guppies, and their young? (such as plants or hiding places).)Hiding places is essential if you want any babies to survive unless you use a breeding trap/net.Plants are good too.
8. I may also include neon tetra's in my aquarium, would they be suitable with guppies?.)Suitable but they might eat your newborn fry if given the chance.
9. I am also thinking of getting some form of catfish or similar type (nothing that is too large), to help with any algae problems i may have, could these be suitable with both guppies and tetra's?.)I have corys.They seem harmless enough.
10. What temperature is suitable for guppies? would this be any good for the tetra's and catfish?.)That is hubby's department.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back