Guppy can’t swim horizontally

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joelfernandes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a fancy guppy that is struggling to swim normally. Here’s a video of him swimming: https://share.icloud.com/photos/058zTlNECahFS3Atgxc1-5dHA

I had a camallanus problem and treated the whole tank a week ago with expel-p, and two weeks before with general cure (I couldn’t find fritz back then). I do think this guppy was already swimming differently back then, but definitely not as today.

FWIW, I do see him eating. It’s a struggle but it does eat.

I think from past experience that he likely has some kind of issue with his swim bladder, and if that’s the case then it is sadly fatal. You can give him skinned peas or a bath in epsom salt to help alleviate symptoms but there is no cure for swim bladder disorders.

Yes. He has lost control of his swim bladder. It happens commonly and is not realy treatable.

Camallanus bite into the intestinal wall, and as the medication kills them, the ones that were long established fall away. In many cases, the fish bleeds, or the degree of damage is just too much. That fancy guppy already has a huge tail to drag, and if he has internal injuries, he may lack the strength to haul the wet wedding dress around. Fancy linebreeding makes beauties, but there's a price.

The 2 swim bladders are inflated by and fed with gas from the guts, and the nematode worms may have done a number on that system. if the intestines are wrecked, there isn't much hope.

The nematodes may not be finished. I would treat, siphon from the bottom a couple of times a week for 3 weeks, then repeat to get any hatched worms and follow the same sequence for a total of 3 3 week treatments.

I would move him, in treated water, to a shallower environment where getting to the surface isn't hard work. There isn't much else to do. Camallanus is a nasty parasite.

I’m definitely treating the tank a few more times to make sure.

As for the swim bladder issue, I’ve seen on YouTube people treating with salt water, putting the fish in concentrated salt water for a few minutes, then move the fish and concentrated water to a half-gallon container with more water and leave ot there for 6 hours or so, and then finally move it to the tank.

I don’t know what to do, at this point either try that or euthanasia, as it looks to me the fish is not getting better and is struggling.

You can use as much salt as you want but it won't do anything to cure the swim bladder problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back