Guppy Breeding?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sasmcpot

Reaction score
I am very new to tropical aquariums, and finally everything seems to be setting in place.

The water cycle isn't 100% yet, but im doing frequent water changes, gravel vaccing regularily, and testing the water and I can clearly see the happiness in my fish!

2 of my guppies are by my eyes, heavily pregnant though. I have placed them in a floating guppy breeding tank I got from ebay, its seethrough and made of plastic, but its really really small.

I was wondering whats the best way about doing this? I do feel really bad putting them in such a cramped space while I play the waiting game. I know the best way is to have plants for cover etc, but with an undergravel filter plants arent really an option, and I have no false plants in my tank yet (Waiting for my next paycheck!) Will they be ok until they give birth? Should I keep my eye out and catch them when they are giving birth instead?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

you shouldnt really leave them in the breeder for 24 hours unless fry are born and certainly not any longer than 48hours! Unless they vanish off to a spot in the tank to be alone and secluded I wouldnt put them in the breeder at all. I just got some mollies and have been doing some serious reading on them and in most cases, they are the same as guppies

you shouldnt really leave them in the breeder for 24 hours unless fry are born and certainly not any longer than 48hours! Unless they vanish off to a spot in the tank to be alone and secluded I wouldnt put them in the breeder at all. I just got some mollies and have been doing some serious reading on them and in most cases, they are the same as guppies

Thanks alot! I put them in for just overnight, and the gits managed to escape! So I decided it was good effort and ill leave them out until I see them dropping / being secluded.

If you can catch the female dropping her fry, net the fry into the trap and leave the female out in the open. For breeding cover, you can use a plant called java moss. It is not planted, so the UGF is no problem, and it gives great fry cover. This is an old picture of some of mine tied to a piece of wood to keep it from moving around in the tank too much. There are also a few silk plants in the picture.
GuppyClump.jpg

I find with my pregnant guppies,they do get very stressed being 'trapped',and i agree with oldman,catching the fry is better for the her,
Plenty of cover and/or floating plants and a fair few will survive,i find most of my guppy fry stay around the top of the tank if there's cover,making it easier to catch them and put them in the plastic breeder has opposed to trapping the mother. :)

Good luck :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back