The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonny-5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Attention all you Guppy breeders

I just wanted a question answering if possible

I have a nice batch of Cobra Guppy that i have successfully raised fry off. The fry are mostly just short of 3 months old
Some of the male colours are fantastic & would like to try & make my own brood, Not for profit just for me.

What i wanted to know is

Do males get better colours when grown out seperate from Females?
By that i mean seperate them as very early as possible

I have read reviews about this & just wanted to know a few thoughts

Thanks

there will be very little difference in colour either way, if you going to make your own strain it is always best to separate females out before they become impregnated if you still have the original male and he is very colourful and have same characteristics bread him back to one of his daughters if not bread your best male back to one of its sisters

Yeh i was thinking about doing something like that. Im interested because all the LFS local to me always seem to have the same boring colours.
I guess the U.K is simply where most of the Mutt Guppies go.

The LFS i go to often, Has minimal Guppy sexes right now, Ive checked stock almost everywhere within a 20 miles radius & theres not a lot about.
The few females that are available always seem to be plain grey with no markings, So when i saw a few half blacks & green tails i snapped them up & the fry has been really nice so far, Still a few late developers but on the whole are very interesting, But again as they were pregnant in the LFS i have no idea which 1 fathered them. Although i do know they were Cobra Guppies

yeah that's the problem trying to get matching females sometimes you can get lucky the chance of breeding show quality from them would be very difficult and take many many years to create it, the half blacks are probably the easiest strain to fix, even trying to find a matching pair can be difficult if you ever come across a tank full of half black males look very close occasionally you may find the old female with them lol.
some of my half blacks

IMG_5680 (640x480) (2).jpg

They look well. The 1 on the far side at the back looks very similar to the mother of some of these fry. All the fry i have had in recent months came from 4 mothers, My friend has taken all the adults except for a mating pair but i kept hold of my oldest batch of fry. So im hoping to try & have a go at a few colour strains.
Right now i only have Corys in the community tank so i have a bit of space to house nice looking males.
My plan is to have seperate male & female community tanks

I managed to catch this shot during feeding time. The Guppy Mom was Blonde, This female that turned out to be male ? is around 7 weeks
Not sure about the poop, i let 1 of my daughters feed them yesterday & she gave them Freeze dried Bloodworm ?

Attachments

• 20210120_182242.jpg
    20210120_182242.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back