Guppy breeding help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all! I’m going to get a ten gallon tank with guppies and cherry shrimp. I like endler guppies more but they are more expensive and the females are super hard to find. Could I get a male endler and female fancy guppy trio? Would they breed? If so, please respond. If you have any tips for that kind of tank, please tell me. Thanks!

Yes, they will breed and produce viable offspring. The young will be hybrids of the adults (mutts, essentially). I don't have any tips other than to keep the tank well filtered, with lots of plants and frequent water changes - and ideally make sure you have a place nearby where you can give away unwanted fry. Guppies breed like crazy and they can overrun a tank pretty quickly - a 10 gallon is actually a little on the small side for both males and females. 4 guppies will soon turn into 40 ?

Don't buy any male guppies or endlers. Just buy 4-6 female guppies and they will be gravid (pregnant) when you get them. They will also be carrying sperm packets and continue to have young for up to 6 months after you get them, even though there are no males with them.

After that time, you give the females a few months without being gravid, and then put a male in the tank with them for a week. After that, take the male out and leave the females to breed for the next 6 months.

Don't buy any male guppies or endlers. Just buy 4-6 female guppies and they will be gravid (pregnant) when you get them. They will also be carrying sperm packets and continue to have young for up to 6 months after you get them, even though there are no males with them.

After that time, you give the females a few months without being gravid, and then put a male in the tank with them for a week. After that, take the male out and leave the females to breed for the next 6 months.
Smart!
Yes, they will breed and produce viable offspring. The young will be hybrids of the adults (mutts, essentially). I don't have any tips other than to keep the tank well filtered, with lots of plants and frequent water changes - and ideally make sure you have a place nearby where you can give away unwanted fry. Guppies breed like crazy and they can overrun a tank pretty quickly - a 10 gallon is actually a little on the small side for both males and females. 4 guppies will soon turn into 40 ?
Thanks ? I’m planning to sell or give away the fry.

some people had experiences with guppies grouping up to hunt the shrimp ??

Wel, just a remark overhere... sperm packets can be stored by a female for over a year. Not about just 6 months. I wouldn't bet on it that a female will be clean after 6 months.
If you'd like to breed them, be sure that they are clan or virgins. Will it be hard to get your hands on such female guppies, use the virgin female offspring instead to ensure that only a specific male will be the father of the next offspring.

Wel, just a remark overhere... sperm packets can be stored by a female for over a year. Not about just 6 months. I wouldn't bet on it that a female will be clean after 6 months.
If you'd like to breed them, be sure that they are clan or virgins. Will it be hard to get your hands on such female guppies, use the virgin female offspring instead to ensure that only a specific male will be the father of the next offspring.
Interesting, everything I’ve read has said milt can be stored for about 6 months.

Interesting, everything I’ve read has said milt can be stored for about 6 months.
I know. But it's a copied text on the internet from commercial aquarium books. But it's really longer. 6 Months storage is a total incorrect information. Like more information that is incorrect about livebearers is spread over the internet by copied texts from commercial books. And once people just copy that text multiple times, people tend to believe that that's the correct info.
Serious breeders (in this case guppy breeders) know that the sperm storage is over a year. And that's why serious breeders won't ever use females that have mated before with a different kind of male(s), that have mated within a year to reuse for another project. If they're out of sperm packets, we call such females, clean females.
And a lot of people just don't know that sperm storage only goes for most (so, not all...) ovoviviparous livebearers. Real livebearer fish (viviparous), the females don't have the ability to store sperm packets. So, the remark that I also do read that often is that people tend to tell that all female livebearers are able to store sperm packets, just ain't true. You just need to know which livebearer species it may concern.
Another example: And do all livebearers have a high reproduction potential? The answer will be: No! People tend to keep a reference to the wellknown commercial livebearers. There are a lot of livebearers that have a low reproduction rate with small batches of fry even. And also a number of them have a much longer gestation period.
Most people (goes also for this forum... no offense, btw...) are not familiair with the whole of the livebearer world. It's also one of the reasons why I've started my website about livebearers. To show people that the livebearer scene is much bigger than most people think.
Do all livebearers need hard water? The answer will be: No again! It really comes down to the species itself. And I do write articles about livebearers that have been published in serious magazines. In those articles you will read different things than most people at an average forum will tell you about livebearers.

I know. But it's a copied text on the internet from commercial aquarium books. But it's really longer. 6 Months storage is a total incorrect information. Like more information that is incorrect about livebearers is spread over the internet by copied texts from commercial books. And once people just copy that text multiple times, people tend to believe that that's the correct info.
Serious breeders (in this case guppy breeders) know that the sperm storage is over a year. And that's why serious breeders won't ever use females that have mated before with a different kind of male(s), that have mated within a year to reuse for another project. If they're out of sperm packets, we call such females, clean females.
And a lot of people just don't know that sperm storage only goes for most (so, not all...) ovoviviparous livebearers. Real livebearer fish (viviparous), the females don't have the ability to store sperm packets. So, the remark that I also do read that often is that people tend to tell that all female livebearers are able to store sperm packets, just ain't true. You just need to know which livebearer species it may concern.
Another example: And do all livebearers have a high reproduction potential? The answer will be: No! People tend to keep a reference to the wellknown commercial livebearers. There are a lot of livebearers that have a low reproduction rate with small batches of fry even. And also a number of them have a much longer gestation period.
Most people (goes also for this forum... no offense, btw...) are not familiair with the whole of the livebearer world. It's also one of the reasons why I've started my website about livebearers. To show people that the livebearer scene is much bigger than most people think.
Do all livebearers need hard water? The answer will be: No again! It really comes down to the species itself. And I do write articles about livebearers that have been published in serious magazines. In those articles you will read different things than most people at an average forum will tell you about livebearers.
I appreciate the info. As a goldfish breeder, I did know not all egg layers carry sperm packets. Thank God! :)

I appreciate the info. As a goldfish breeder, I did know not all egg layers carry sperm packets. Thank God! :)
LOL! I didn't refer to egg layers. For egg layers are oviparous and I was referring to ovoviviparous fish (next to viviparous). Oviparous (egg layers) don't have the ability to store sperm packets.

Excuse me for the intrusion, but is there a link to your website available? I would very much appreciate reading your content because I've been considering purchasing guppies and I want to read as much as I can before I do. I've been scouring the internet for months for information. I've seen quite a few of your posts on this forum and another and your advice is golden. Many people say you're the guppy guru, so I would love to browse your site. Thank you!

Excuse me for the intrusion, but is there a link to your website available? I would very much appreciate reading your content because I've been considering purchasing guppies and I want to read as much as I can before I do. I've been scouring the internet for months for information. I've seen quite a few of your posts on this forum and another and your advice is golden. Many people say you're the guppy guru, so I would love to browse your site. Thank you!
That would be:
www.emeraldking-aquatics.com

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back