Guppy breeding for profit

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jake_SkinnyBoy

Reaction score
I have about 50 guppy fry and my tank is starting to get overstocked and was wondering if there was a website to sell them?

Just contact your local pet shops and see if they will buy them. Most shops in Australia will give you store credit or cash. Cash is about 1/3 retail price and credit is usually half retail price. But check with the store first.

I used to take credit and use it to get fish food, filters, tanks, fish and anything else I wanted.

-----------
If you want to sell online, use Ebay or Gumtree and specify "pick up only".

Since you use the P word in your title ... :)

Be aware that this is unlikely to be the way you fund your retirement, or pay your mortgage.
Yes you may be able to sell some, and yes you may be able to recover some of the money you put into the hobby - but actual profit is unlikely.

To be able to make a decent profit you would have to have a whole breeding operation going with a bunch of tanks: male tank/s, female tank/s, and multiple tanks for growing out the fry

guppies are fast breeders, and more or less easy to look after. making them a low-profit fish. sorry if you had to find this out the hard way. more work means more profit. as well as higher risk.

best of luck cheers

I sell plants to my LFS. (Some concept?)

Make sure to get the best ones and bring them in a good bag. When I sell plants at my LFS, they just give me in-store credit, don’t expect cash. :)

You may have to call more than one LFS to find a taker.
I once tried to trade a surplus of superworms for plants at my LFS. The guy got extremely agitated with me. He wanted the superworms, but didn't want to give me anything, not even plants, in exchange. Very strange.

I once tried to trade a surplus of superworms for plants at my LFS. The guy got extremely agitated with me. He wanted the superworms, but didn't want to give me anything, not even plants, in exchange. Very strange.
something for nothing typical. Im surer they don't give away free stuff. why should u.

One time I had an angel fish and it hadreally rare markings and was large, tried to get 3 dollars for it and they said nope. I had to get rid of it because it was eating my neons so I just gave it to them. They sold it for $50!

I had a large number of young Black Mollies and African Cichlids, after giving away as many as I could to friends and relatives I took them down to the LFS and each time all they were willing to give me for them was some fish food. There was around 20-30 of them:( Back then there was no E-bay or Craig's list so maybe you could have more luck. It your going to make a living at it your going to need plenty of money for tanks and equipment and stock just to get started.

:blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back