Guppy Bent Way Over ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello
Just got in From work and found my guppy on the floor of the tank, curved over not moving but still gill movement. Does anybody no whats wrong or solutions to sort it ? Any help would be great, Cheers

Here she is, Yellow with an Orange tint to her tail
guppy.jpg

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet.

It's really hard to definitively say what's wrong; 'curviness' in fish can have many causes. 

How old is the fish and what are your other water stats (particularly ammonia and nitrite)? Are any other fish looking ill at all? What is your stocking and how big is the tank?

In the absence of any other symptoms, there's not a lot you can do, apart from a few large water changes (and by 'large', I mean 75 or 80%).

Guppies are very prone to going curvy when they get old.

Sorry about the late reply, the only testers i have are for ph and No2. Was told the other testers were more for marine tanks ? i hve 6 Harlequins, 6 Neons, 2 frogs and 3 guppies, now down to One.

Done two big water changes (70%) then the second one got the same symptoms and died, None of the other inhabitants are off the food or look ill.

Tank is 90 Litres , Have live plants in, Vary the diet and do my water changes regularily.

Dunno what else to add.

Cheers for the comments

Another thing that could of happen that I have had happen many of times is that depending on your filter your guppy may have gotten stuck onto it but been able to swim away before suffocating causing them to e curved due to the suction of the filter

Guppies need hard water. Many of them tend to curl up because of too soft of water. There is nothing you can do for the fish now, so it's best to let it out of it's misery.

pH:

7,0-8,5

dH:

10-30

Those are like the optimal alcality and hardness for guppies and other live bearers.

The exact same thing happened to one of my older female guppies, I haven't got a clue but I'd love to find out aswell!

Most reactions

Back