guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jht

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
2 weeks ago i put my first fish in 1 betta (which was ill when i bought him) and 2 female guppies and 1 male guppie and 10 neon the guppies and the betta died but the neon are fine and and on my way home from school today i could'nt help myself i bought a female guppie and had to walk home ( it took 30 mins ) but she was alright by the time i got home and she seems perfectly fine and i plan to get 1 male and 1 female guppie some time next week do you thinkthis would be be okay?

Putting all the fish in together may have caused a sudden bacterial overload in your new setup. Guppies are usually very hardy and robust fish. The fish may have died either due to disease or stress which is a common error amongst new fishkeepers.To answer your question though, I would suggest 3 females, (min) to 1 male. Walking home with them sloshing around in a polybag is not really recommended especially for 30 minutes. Extreme stress.
Did you know when an lfs bags your fish and the polybag is inflated, the pressure within the bag suppresses the ammonia levels. When you release the pressure, the levels instantanously increases by 10. That is an awlful lot of ammonia for a 30 minute journey.

Since i have a less than favorable LFS, i drive about 75 miles to the next closest store. I have purchased fish several times and driven home with them in their baggy. I have never had one die or even lose much color doing this. They are in the bag for over an hour. I have also moved a few times with my fish, keeping 2 8" oscars in 5 gallon bucket. I moved 3 hours away so they had a long journey. But in the end came out fine, and hungry as ever.

If you have a 10 gallon aquarium, you have about 5 inches TOO MANY fish!! If you have a 20 gallon, maybe it was the amonia shock. You still aren't suppose to put in more than 2 or 3 fish at once....this lets the water levels ajust gradually. To not make the same mistake twice you may ask yourself these questions:

Did you stick them all in at the same time?
Was the water cycled?
If cycled, were the levels normal?
Do you have room for 15 in. worth of fish? (you have too many for a 10 gallon)
Did you bring them home inside of a paper bag or black bag? (this reduces travel stress on fish)

Just some thoughts!

Silver
:*

well it was my first tropical tank and the guy at my lcfs told me what i could and could'nt get for my tank and he told me to cycle the tank with the fish and at the time i asked for 4 neons the guy got me 10 he said thats about 4ish and only charged me for 4 and when i take the guppies home i have them in a brown paper bag and try not to slosh them about

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back