guppies (strange behavior)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlee0332

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have 4 guppies in a cycling tank... Today, one of my female's gravids became empty, with a redish tint to it, so I assume she aborted.

Any way... The rest of the guppies, including her, stay at the surface of the water. They dont gasp, nor do they shimmy or sit still. they just wont swim any where bu right at the top where the filter empties clean water into the tank... Anyone know what's wrong?

I'll do a water change really fast and give an update when I'm done...

Are your guppies fins clamped?
As I said above it may be a stress related problem or possibly a lack of oxygen from the midway point of the tank downwards.
What are the water params?
If it's cycling it may have high levels of ammonia or nitrite still.

It sounds like the may need more oxygen, or something. Do you have an airstone? And yes, it's a good idea to do a water change. Also, since it's cycling, it may be the ammonia, or nitrites. Have you tested those?

And just because it's red doesn't mean she aborted. Sometimes the fry turn around, so you can't see the eyes. Usually, though, they have the red AFTER they give birth. Watch her though...it may be a sign of parasites, or internal bleeding, or something.

Edit: Dang..Superjalami beat me to it! :p

superjalami30 said:
neener neener neener!! :p :p
Yeah yeah...rub it in. Just because I'm slow... :sad: You only beat me to some of it, though. :p

Anyway, sorry Mlee, I'll stop now. :D

Hmm, I thought I jsut posted this, but any way, here is what I said...

After the water change they all went to actin' normal again. I guess they needed some fresh water. Also, I;m gonna keep an eye out for fry b/c my other female that didn;t give birth yet is about too, and she's already had a batch of them. Her gravid is black black black. and she's still standoffish, but she'll go all over the tank now...

My test kit is bad, so I dont know the nitrites or trates, but ammonia is between 0.25 & 0.50 ppm. I have to keep it that low b/c I have a neon in there...

o yeah, almost forgot. I do have an air pump and stone for the tank too. I guess they're okay.

One of my wcmms is very pale tho, but I'll have to post some where else to get that sorted...

Edit: nevermind, he is fine too. His color came back just now. I guess he was stressed from the water change...

Over the weeked I lost all four guppies and 2 white clouds (4 guppies in one day, wcmms the very next!). That's 6 of the ten i have in my tank. They all had what looked like ich and columnaris, b/c a few guppies had whit spots in their eye. But I think it was ich. any way, the remaining 4 are sick and not doing well, so I guess that just wiped out my whole stock..

was that all in ur 29 gallon? lets see here. 2*4=8 5*3=15 1*2=2 8+15=23+2=25. well, ur tank isn't over stocked. and i agree with u, i think it's ich.

Just white spots on their eye? Not over the body at all? If it was just on the eye, it probably was some kind of fungus. Or maybe popeye?

And what are the symptoms on the other fish? Same thing? I suggest you try to find out for sure what it is, then try treating. You can probably save your fish, if you treat them for the right thing.

No it was over their whole body and their eyes... Thats why I didn't think it was ich...

Now I really dont think its ich... The wcmms have spots and tattered fins... The points where the fins are tattered are completely white... The neon, how ever, only has the white spots on his finnage, ALL OF IT, and he looks tattered as well... I Dont think its ich in the fact it hit and killed so fast..., but then again the tank is 76 o F...

It sounds like ich. Raise the temperature slowly to 80, and be sure there is enough oxygen. Try treating with something that has copper in it. This will kill the little parasites, usually, if you hit it right. Careful of live plants, though. Copper is not good for them. Or, you can use one of the many other Ich meds. Just keep the temperature up. That's the most important.

The tattered fins with white edging on them also sound like you may have a case of finrot on your hands as well as ich...

Well I managed to save 3 of them. The neon died this morning. So now I only have 3 wcmms. I treated them for the tattered fins with melafix, and with parasite clear and with fungus clear and ich meds. None had the same active ingredients, so that should have been fine right? I guess it was, b/c 3 are healed...

Most reactions

trending

Back