Guppies staying at the top of the tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Charlotte2001

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought 8 guppies for my tank today, ever since they've been staying at the top which I've heard is a bad sign? My water is good and got enough enough oxygen, I've got all kinds of tetras and they rarely ever go to the top, thanks

How big is the tank?
How long has it been set up for?
Any chance of a picture/s of the fish?

Guppies normally hang around the surface but if they are breathing funny or acting unusual, it can be something in the water or a disease.

How big is the tank?
How long has it been set up for?
Any chance of a picture/s of the fish?

Guppies normally hang around the surface but if they are breathing funny or acting unusual, it can be something in the water or a disease.
Its 240l, set up for about 6 months now & fully cycled. I haven't got any pics atm, they aren't breathing funny or gasping, just heard they normally like the mid of the tank

It's probably just normal behaviour. Most livebearers like to hang out in the upper half of the tank.

It's probably just normal behaviour. Most livebearers like to hang out in the upper half of the tank.
Right at the surface? Like I said they aren't gasping but they're literally right at the surface and rarely move from it, I think it may be the stress from moving tanks too

Probably stress from moving, mine did that when I got them home. Also now when I water change etc they all hang around right at the surface in a corner of the tank and will stay there for an hour or so. Almost as if they are sulking 'cause I disturbed them:(.

Most reactions

Back