Guppies Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheOscarman1981

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
so last week I got six females and one male and put them in a aquarium that I used to pair off my angelfishe so I know there is nothing wrong with water quality as angels were in there for over a month till moved to bigger aquarium any way I got 3 dark bodied and 3 yellow bodied after just 2 days the yellow bodied guppies had died but the darker bodied ones are going strong any thoughts thanks
P.s male is doing good too

Guppies are not really the hardy fish they once were due to overbreeding basically.

But I would urge you to test the water, do not assume nothing wrong with the water quality.

This is my first thing I do if I any unusual occuring in any of my tanks, is to to a full range of water tests, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, and ph as well, as could be flucuating ph thats making the fish ill.

So I suggest you test and post up the results on this thread, also any other information would be useful, such as tank size, tank mates, live plants, cycled etc etc

Should of said I did test water but all no ammonia and no nitrites and nitrates 10 ppm but I do live in a hard water area and ph is 7.5 and the tank is cycled it been set up for several months was using as a quarantine tank till I set up another for the job.

The aquarium is a Rio 125 with an external canister filter that's for a tank twice that size.

There is just the guppies at the moment.

Your tank sizes and water does sound spot on for guppies which is a hard water specie.

Could have been anything that happened to your two guppies that died, unless there was any specific symptoms, ie breathing fast, at surface of water, swimmming erractically not eating etc

I have lost fish in the past for no clear reasons and think it simply happens to all of us fishkeepers at some point :/

It has been a week since this happened so got six more to day and they all dark bodied so see how they go and will let u know thanks

it just seemed strange that it was the lovely looking yellow one's that died and that dark bodied one's were ok.

As you said it could just be that they were very delicate cos of over breeding cos when I kept fish over 10 years ago they were quite hardy fish.

Could have just been inbreeds, had this before guppies bred with with related guppies can turn out real bad

[SIZE=10.5pt]Most Guppies[/SIZE] are hardy, why is it when a problem occurs  it’s blamed on overbreeding /inbreeding ?.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Dan the fish  man 11 of course  there [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]inbreeds  they are all inbreed if you bred related guppies[/SIZE] they should be fine. only breed from your best pair
[SIZE=10.5pt]Have any of you gave it a thought  about  the water quality/ conditions the fish may have been kept before it reaches your lfs,  [/SIZE]
 There are so many illnesses a guppy may get it can’t  all be put down[SIZE=10.5pt] overbreeding,[/SIZE]

Techniqually inbreeding or line breeding can go two ways, one can greatly reduce the genetic diversity and thus immunity to illnesses, or it can produce more resilinet fish with regards to water quality.
E.G. Wild discus are very hard to get breeding and sucessfully producing fry in most home tanks, whereas ones that have already been in captivity and bred for a couple of generations produces fish that are a little more forgiving in the water paramaters department. By line/in breeding the hardier surviours you are developing a fish more suited for certain water paramaters. But these now hardier fish may not be so hardy in another persons tank with totally different paramaters.
Neon Tetras however after being mass produced (often in less than ideal conditions) are getting noticably less healthy and prone to diseases. This may be a twofold problem firstly the original stocks may have been small in number, effectively creating a small gene pool to breed all future generations from. Secondly because of the less than ideal conditions many mass production fish farms use in certain countries the fish are already stressed and potentially carrying life threatening illnesses before they even make it to a fish keepers front door.
Rather than pointing the finger at being inbred stock for the reason your guppies died, I would suspect that the two different colours of guppy came from two different breeders/ producers and thus one colour type was possibly more used to your water paramaters while the other colour type wasnt at all used to your water paramaters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back