Guppies or platies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

dixiechick

Reaction score
Hi all,

Iā€™ve spent the past several months cycling/setting up a 105 litre tank which currently houses

2 x bristlenose plec
1 male guppy
3 female guppies
1 male Platy
2 female Platy.

I was undergoing tank maintenance last week and spotted babies.

I hadnā€™t even noticed any pregnancies as a few of the fish Iā€™d only just bought so Iā€™m clueless whoā€™s they are.

Iā€™ve tried taking pics but these guys are so small so I had to zoom in, so theyā€™re not the best quality.
They can obviously only be Platy or guppies, any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• A907B24F-D92B-41CE-87F3-30E10B1DDEBE.jpeg
    A907B24F-D92B-41CE-87F3-30E10B1DDEBE.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 36
  • F066EFE4-BBC4-41EE-A4F3-511737E0485E.jpeg
    F066EFE4-BBC4-41EE-A4F3-511737E0485E.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 35
I will bet you 2 units of fish forum credibility they are guppies. The body shape says that.

guppies

baby platies are usually born with the colour they are going to be
I agree with you that they are guppies; however the last statement isn't entirely true. My platy fry didn't develop their black spots and red coloring until at they were at least two months old.

Thanks all. I suspected they were guppies but just wasnā€™t certain. I canā€™t wait to see what colours they grow into. I was planning on adding a few more fish but donā€™t think Iā€™ll bother because theyā€™ll keep birthing more šŸ¤£

Iā€™ve tried taking pics but these guys are so small so I had to zoom in, so theyā€™re not the best quality.
Definitely guppies. Show them when they're grown.

Hi all,

Iā€™ve spent the past several months cycling/setting up a 105 litre tank which currently houses

2 x bristlenose plec
1 male guppy
3 female guppies
1 male Platy
2 female Platy.

I was undergoing tank maintenance last week and spotted babies.

I hadnā€™t even noticed any pregnancies as a few of the fish Iā€™d only just bought so Iā€™m clueless whoā€™s they are.

Yeah look like guppyā€™s

UPDATE -

so these guys are approximately 2 months old now, and you guys were completely right!

5 of them survived, looks like 1 male, 4 female.

Theyā€™ve since birthed more fry and thereā€™s around 10 - 12 tiny babies. I think more survived this time around as my plants have grown and matured providing more hiding spaces.

my plan was to add a few more species to this tank but Iā€™ve decided to just leave it alone to avoid over-population.

105 litres now home to -

2 x bristlenose plec
1 male Platy (but I seriously doubt he will reproduce, Iā€™ve had him over 4 years so heā€™s an old man)
2 female platy
1 adult male guppy & 1 baby male guppy
3 adult female guppies & 4 baby females
10-12 (hard to accurately count as they move fast and hide) tiny baby guppies.

Iā€™m currently running 2 filters in the tank and also have a spare backup tank (50 litres). If this tank becomes too populated I will separate the males & one filter into the smaller tank to stop them breeding. I know females can still birth fry with no male present but theyā€™d stop eventually šŸ¤£. . .

So happy with my baby male though heā€™s super stunning (pics donā€™t do him justice)!

Attachments

• A378F383-4CEC-4356-8DD7-059936C7C478.jpeg
    A378F383-4CEC-4356-8DD7-059936C7C478.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 47A6AA64-A5D9-442F-86B4-17BBDC2C51AA.jpeg
    47A6AA64-A5D9-442F-86B4-17BBDC2C51AA.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 23

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back