Guppies having babies despite all of them looking female

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SentientRoomba

Reaction score
Guys I'm so confused, I had to make an account to ask this, I have what I believed to be an all female tank of guppy and they all have the signs of being female to my knowledge. Literally all of them have gravid spots none have long flowing fins like I've seen on males, I've had these fish for more than half a year. But of late I've been finding a baby here and there , currently have two babies of different stages of growth in a separate tank for the time being till they can be sexed. And one thing I do not want is a billion baby guppy.. I'll get my camera out and try to post pictures if possible of all the separate fish in their own containers so you guys can take a look at them.

Guys I'm so confused, I had to make an account to ask this, I have what I believed to be an all female tank of guppy and they all have the signs of being female to my knowledge. Literally all of them have gravid spots none have long flowing fins like I've seen on males, I've had these fish for more than half a year. But of late I've been finding a baby here and there , currently have two babies of different stages of growth in a separate tank for the time being till they can be sexed. And one thing I do not want is a billion baby guppy.. I'll get my camera out and try to post pictures if possible of all the separate fish in their own containers so you guys can take a look at them.
it is ok, that is inevitable
seperate the babies in another tank and get the females back to the big tank

dont take them out of the tank
stresses them out.

one contact with a male makes babies, so you cant get a female guppy from a store that is not full of babies.
just let the babies live in another tank.
the baby males will impregnate other females

Hi,
Guppy's gestation lasts about one month at 24-25 °C . Females are able to postpone babies laying for several hours or even days if environmental conditions (temperature and chemical composition) are likely to jeopardize their offspring.
So it is pretty inevitable.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! Ill do my best to separate them, I got these guppy from local breeder since she had too many so I took 10 female adolescents off her hands, guess they weren't all female. Maybe a more trained eye can tell which ones may be boys so I can set up another tank for them because I'm pretty bad at it heres some pictures i took they are kinda grainy though. Guppy Pictures

Thanks for your replies! Ill do my best to separate them, I got these guppy from local breeder since she had too many so I took 10 female adolescents off her hands, guess they weren't all female. Maybe a more trained eye can tell which ones may be boys so I can set up another tank for them because I'm pretty bad at it heres some pictures i took they are kinda grainy though. Guppy Pictures
They re all female in teh first photo.
just wait like a year and they wont be fertile from contact with males at the hreeder anymore.
remember to raise and seperate the fry, the male fry may impregnate females which is pesky. I reccomend just havign a male and female tank. So they can be sepeerated

Well, it could be that you had indeed all females. But that one or more had still sperm packets stored of which one or more were used, whi9ch caused the pregnancy of one or more females.
An one sex offspring does happen. Nothing to worry about. It doesn't say anything about the sex ratio of the next batch of fry. Unless, it's genetically determined.
Common female livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails) can carry up to 6 sperm packets from breeding with males. They can use these sperm packets to fertilise a batch of eggs when conditions are good. The females can carry the sperm packets for at least 6 months.
"At least" is key overhere. For the storage of sperm packets with ovoviviparous female livebearers is usually over a year even. The number of sperm packets does differ per mating (you can't say up to 6 in this case). It's not the male but the female that makes te packets. The gonopodium isn't inserted into the female's vent but they only make a slight contact with the female's vent. And the sperm will be released at the opening of the vent. The female herself will suck the sperm into the vent in parts. Those parts (sperm packets) will be stored in the folds of the fallopian tube. When a female decides to fertilize the eggs, one or more folds will be opened randomly. So, you'll never know if an older or more recently donated sperm packet will be used to fertilize the eggs. This is why when a female has mated with more than one male, which one will be the father or that the ofspring will be fathered by more than one male.
This is wy I prefer virgin females to use for a new breeding set up. The chance that a female that has already mated once or more will be clean (without stored sperm packets) within a year, is pretty small.

ahh i just noticed your name. its awesome!

Thank you guys for the knowledge! I had no idea that livebearers could do that! I'm pretty new to the hobby so I'm still learning! This is probably the scenario that happened to my tank. Also thanks Sqooosh! I'm horrible at makin usernames so this is my default username for most things ahahaha

Thank you guys for the knowledge! I had no idea that livebearers could do that! I'm pretty new to the hobby so I'm still learning! This is probably the scenario that happened to my tank. Also thanks Sqooosh! I'm horrible at makin usernames so this is my default username for most things ahahaha
same...
im always sgoooshy

Apologies for hijacking thread but what’s the time limit for female endlers? Mrs Lurch decided her males needed girlfriends and theyve not even been introduced and there’s four fry in the QT already! @emeraldking :)

Apologies for hijacking thread but what’s the time limit for female endlers? Mrs Lurch decided her males needed girlfriends and theyve not even been introduced and there’s four fry in the QT already! @emeraldking :)
You mean the max gestation period of female endlers? Wel, an average will also be between 3-4 weeks. But they the can hold on to 6-8 weeks as well. Or did you mean age?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back