Guppies have transparent string thing coming from their bellies.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AHJ

Reaction score
About 5 minutes ago i noticed a little semi clear thing hanging from both of my guppies bellies. Its not very long and you can just barely notice it since its right where their underside fins are. Yesterday I had noticed a bit of bloating. I did a bit of research and I think its little strands of poo. Is this caused due to overeating? If so should I treat it by skipping some meals? If I do skip some meals should I put my guppies in a different tank so my other fish dont have to skip meals?
If its not due to over eating and is a infection or something how should I go about treating it then ive had these guys for quite some time and I havent encountered any problems.
I can provide pictures if needed
Currently as I was writing this it fell off one of them.
Thank you!
(Sorry if this isn't the right category to post this in I made my account today since i'm unsure how to get some help)

it would help more if you could try and get a photo of this stringy little phenomenon if you see it again?

white poop usually means worms these can be treated if noticed early enough

however I'm not sure about transparent stringy stuff though.

maybe another member can help you further

@Bruce Leyland-Jones could be right how many times do you feed them per day?

too little is far better than too much , but one big feed a day could allow some fish to not eat and others to eat too much

personally i feed very little at a time but 3 times a day morning lunch and tea , to try and make sure the food is more evenly distributed

also a varied diet is important take for example you ate egg and chips every single day 365 you'd get bored of it eventually and your health wouldn't be all that great

I need pictures to confirm but its most likely stringy white poop caused by intestinal worms. Read following link for information about stringy white poop.

@Bruce Leyland-Jones could be right how many times do you feed them per day?

too little is far better than too much , but one big feed a day could allow some fish to not eat and others to eat too much

personally i feed very little at a time but 3 times a day morning lunch and tea , to try and make sure the food is more evenly distributed

also a varied diet is important take for example you ate egg and chips every single day 365 you'd get bored of it eventually and your health wouldn't be all that great
I feed them once a day their diet isnt very varied so ill improve with that.
Im thinking its something to do with that because the white string has fallen off both of them. So im sure its some poop.
About a week or so ago I put some diced carrots in there and they sunk to the bottom. They pecked at them but really didnt eat them and it was horrible to clean the little carrots out of the bottom. My mystery snail enjoyed them quite a bit! I know brine shrimp can be a good snack so ill get them some of those. Is there any other vegetable thats easy to get my hands on I can feed them that arent hard to clean. I thought of something that floats but I know that they can gulp too much air when things float on top of the water. I thought of lettuce but it floats so itd be unsafe correct?
Thank you for your replies!

Last edited:
It can also be mucous from an empty belly.
I feed them once a day I tend to watch them to make sure each of them gets food. When I first got them one of them had a missing eye from the store and didnt notice the food. I had to keep an eye on him and make sure he was eating correctly. Its kind of like a habit at this point.
I know guppies are supposed to be fed twice a day but I was nervous and worried about swim bladder and such.
Thank you for your help!

I need pictures to confirm but its most likely stringy white poop caused by intestinal worms. Read following link for information about stringy white poop.

The little string isnt hanging there anymore. It had left really fast and suddenly.
Would a picture of the fish be helpful so you can tell if they're bloated?
Thank you for your help!

Clear in focus pictures of the fish can help identify problems.

Stringy white poop will usually come off and sink to the bottom. It's a symptom of an internal problem and common livebearers like guppies are regularly infected with intestinal worms. If the fish is eating well and doing stringy white poop, it is probably intestinal worms, with round/ thread worms like Camallanus & Capillaria being the most commonly found.

It's interesting you posted this. I have noticed the same thing with one of my platies today. I noticed a clear stringy line, then a small white solid (approx. 3mm in length) then another stringy line once it had passed. It fell off quite quickly. The platy seems quite happy. I have noticed some new fry in the tank, but I'm not 100% sure if they could be from this platy or another one.
This probably won't help you, but some of my fish have ich and a couple appear unwell, although I've not worked out why - they're not showing any others symptoms. I'm treating the tank for ich at the moment and I'll add some aquarium salts tomorrow. But. I'm now wondering if it's worms that I should be treating for instead.

It's interesting you posted this. I have noticed the same thing with one of my platies today. I noticed a clear stringy line, then a small white solid (approx. 3mm in length) then another stringy line once it had passed. It fell off quite quickly. The platy seems quite happy. I have noticed some new fry in the tank, but I'm not 100% sure if they could be from this platy or another one.
This probably won't help you, but some of my fish have ich and a couple appear unwell, although I've not worked out why - they're not showing any others symptoms. I'm treating the tank for ich at the moment and I'll add some aquarium salts tomorrow. But. I'm now wondering if it's worms that I should be treating for instead.
Obviously, only one chemical medical treatment at once, although the salt can run in parallel.

Stringy white poop will usually come off and sink to the bottom. It's a symptom of an internal problem and common livebearers like guppies are regularly infected with intestinal worms. If the fish is eating well and doing stringy white poop, it is probably intestinal worms, with round/ thread worms like Camallanus & Capillaria being the most commonly found.

I had trouble getting pictures every time my camera would focus they would move. After zooming in I do notice that their stomachs were bloated but deffintly not so much thats its easily noticeable.
I also have a cheap android phone that ive had for years and the camera quality is awful.
20211010_180500.jpg

Attachments

• 20211010_180505.jpg
    20211010_180505.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 18

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back