Guppies Everywhere!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hi! Ohh! How I envy you so much! My newly acquired guppies aren't reproducing. A lot for me to learn.

Hi! Ohh! How I envy you so much! My newly acquired guppies aren't reproducing. A lot for me to learn.
How long have you had them? It took mine several months of getting used to my new tank before they started giving birth, and since then they have not stopped :) Good luck!

How long have you had them? It took mine several months of getting used to my new tank before they started giving birth, and since then they have not stopped :) Good luck!
yep!!
whats your water params?
if they are right they will adjust quickly and you will have little babies very fast
(or they are being born and instantly eaten)

so it took you multiple months to encourage your guppies to multiply? Nice. Also, what kind of guppies are they?

so it took you multiple months to encourage your guppies to multiply? Nice. Also, what kind of guppies are they?
theres pretty much only 2 types of common guppy
picta "guppy"
and normal guppy

and picta are rare
the strain does not matter when breeding, they can be mutts

Yeah, for the first two or three months I was convinced that I couldn't raise snails or guppies because nothing was happening, even the hornwort took a while to settle in.
I started out with two male guppies and two female guppies in a 10-gallon tank, that I had cycled and added plants to for a solid month before I added fish.
I don't know what varieties they would be except for fancy tail. I don't have any sword tail. Just the very colorful males, with long tails and top fins, reds, yellows, some black and a splash of orange. I'm hoping to find a male guppy that will bring some blues into the mix next time I add to my little fish family.

picta "guppy"
and normal guppy

and picta are rare
the strain does not matter when breeding, they can be mutts
Pictas are related to the guppy but (despite of the name) no guppies.

picta "guppy"
and normal guppy
Scientifically, when we look at wild guppies, there are 4 classifications of wild guppies:
Poecilia reticulata
Poecilia obscura
Poecilia kempkesi
Poecilia wingei

Although, Poecilia wingei is not considered being a guppy, the relation with guppies is close. And is nowadays a classification within the guppy classification. Pictas are nowadays within the genus "Poecilia" (just as decades before). But in between they were classified as being Micropoecilia (in my opinion, they should still be in there). All other Micropoecilia species are still being considered the subgenus "Micropoecilia". But despite of the current classification, pictas still have the bodyshape that's typical for Micropoecilia species. Also females within the Micropoecilia species are having a different bodyshape (much more slender) than female guppies and they're superfetative unlike guppies.
Most spread wild guppies and most sold fancy guppies are Poecilia reticulata. And the past 2 decades, Poecilia wingei has also been crossed with Poecilia reticulata to created new guppy strains.
But also Poecilia obscura (from Trinidad) has been used to create fancy guppy strains. A specific population from Trinidad ( there are more populations in Trinidad) to be more precise has been used. For that specific strain has got a special trait in the eyes. They can change their eye color to black. This can be shown in certain fancy guppies as well. If that trait is visible in a fancy guppy, it's for certain that they also carry the genes of the species from Trinidad. Other kinds of wild guppies don't show this trait.

With a remark that all fancy guppies are a 100% Poecilia reticulata, we'd be making a false statement.

Scientifically, when we look at wild guppies, there are 4 classifications of wild guppies:
Poecilia reticulata
Poecilia obscura
Poecilia kempkesi
Poecilia wingei

Although, Poecilia wingei is not considered being a guppy, the relation with guppies is close. And is nowadays a classification within the guppy classification. Pictas are nowadays within the genus "Poecilia" (just as decades before). But in between they were classified as being Micropoecilia (in my opinion, they should still be in there). All other Micropoecilia species are still being considered the subgenus "Micropoecilia". But despite of the current classification, pictas still have the bodyshape that's typical for Micropoecilia species. Also females within the Micropoecilia species are having a different bodyshape (much more slender) than female guppies and they're superfetative unlike guppies.
Most spread wild guppies and most sold fancy guppies are Poecilia reticulata. And the past 2 decades, Poecilia wingei has also been crossed with Poecilia reticulata to created new guppy strains.
But also Poecilia obscura (from Trinidad) has been used to create fancy guppy strains. A specific population from Trinidad ( there are more populations in Trinidad) to be more precise has been used. For that specific strain has got a special trait in the eyes. They can change their eye color to black. This can be shown in certain fancy guppies as well. If that trait is visible in a fancy guppy, it's for certain that they also carry the genes of the species from Trinidad. Other kinds of wild guppies don't show this trait.

With a remark that all fancy guppies are a 100% Poecilia reticulata, we'd be making a false statement.
yeah i had this one fancy guppy when she is stressed her eyes are black(queen guppy)
same with her fry (most of my tank)
are there any different strans used to create Japense LYretail?
i have so many of those baby guppies and the females dont have any color

yeah i had this one fancy guppy when she is stressed her eyes are black(queen guppy)
same with her fry (most of my tank)
are there any different strans used to create Japense LYretail?
i have so many of those baby guppies and the females dont have any color
Japan blue lyretails are pure guppies. So, no endler influence. Shorttailed Japan blues are original guppies. The commercial trade labeled them as being endlers. But the original Japan blues are actually a result of feral guppies that have evolved into a short finned blue bodied population. The person who's responsible that also Japan blue endler hybrids do exsist, is Adrian Hernandez. The typical mark that makes the visible difference between a Japan blue guppy and a Japan blue endler hybrid, is the black dot on both sides on the shoulder in males. Only the hybrid version does show this black dot. The real guppy version doesn't show the dot.
Also this Japan blue guppy, showed mutations in the finnage when bred in captivity. The lyretail and the single sword in Japan blues were actually mutations. And these were linebred.
The females however are just plane grey in both guppy and endler hybrid version. Females of the Japan blues that pass on the blue coloration dominantly, will show a bit of blue in the finnage and/or the caudal penducle and/or saddle. Females that carry the blue gene recessively won't show any blue coloration or shine.

Most reactions

Back