guppies dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Your tank is overcrowded. Blue gourami need at least 30-35 gallon tank and the goodea atripinnis are better in a larger tank as well. Catfish and plecos make a lot of waste so a larger tank is better. The sooner you get bigger tanks, the better.

I'm slightly suspicious about your tank being cycled since you have no nitrate readings. It could have been cycled at first, but when you have too much of a bio load, the beneficial bacteria dies off. Could you do another nitrate reading just in case it was faulty?
Sure

Your tank is overcrowded. Blue gourami need at least 30-35 gallon tank and the goodea atripinnis are better in a larger tank as well. Catfish and plecos make a lot of waste so a larger tank is better. The sooner you get bigger tanks, the better.

I'm slightly suspicious about your tank being cycled since you have no nitrate readings. It could have been cycled at first, but when you have too much of a bio load, the beneficial bacteria dies off. Could you do another nitrate reading just in case it was faulty?
Yep it was a faulty test strip, just did the test again 2 times to be safe and it came out at 25ppm nitrates.

Good, that rules out have to recycle the tank. If you can, I would strongly recommend purchasing the API Master Test kit. I have used it for years and it is very reliable.

That's great. I think the overcrowding could definitely be contributing to the guppy death.

Good, that rules out have to recycle the tank. If you can, I would strongly recommend purchasing the API Master Test kit. I have used it for years and it is very reliable.

That's great. I think the overcrowding could definitely be contributing to the guppy death.
Yeah now let's just hope the 30 gallon arrives soon and that FedEx doesn't turn it into a jigsaw puzzle

Pictures of the remaining fish?

The most common problems with guppies are external bacterial infections and external protozoan infections.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in there for 2-4 weeks.

The tank has bien set up for over a year now, i cycled it with plants and mature filter media from My backyard pond
Doesn't sound like water quality issues, though you've got quite a lot of fish in a 10gallon tank there - I don't see why it would just be the guppies that are going, and not the other species.

Doesn't sound like water quality issues, though you've got quite a lot of fish in a 10gallon tank there - I don't see why it would just be the guppies that are going, and not the other species.
that's what I thought was odd, I have far more sensitive species like otocinclus and the only ones dying are the guppies.

The guppies that are bred today suffer a lot from inbreeding which makes them far more sensitive than they would normally be. Depending on how much they are inbred, will effect how sensitive they are to tank crowding, water parameters, dirty water, etc.

The guppies that are bred today suffer a lot from inbreeding which makes them far more sensitive than they would normally be. Depending on how much they are inbred, will effect how sensitive they are to tank crowding, water parameters, dirty water, etc.
Fair point.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back