guppies dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyBreeder180604

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my guppies are dying and I don't know why, I lose a guppy every 1 week to a month, I feed fresh cleaned vegetables, fish flakes, and live foods that I grow myself.
I checked my parameters and there are no nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, or ammonia, they don't seem to have parasites or any other illness. I am using Parthenocissus quinquefolia leaves for my leaf litter since I have a few plants at home, they don't have any chemicals so I discard that as the cause so maybe they are toxic to fish? I did some research before adding them up but as I didn't find anything the I used them.

my guppies are dying and I don't know why, I lose a guppy every 1 week to a month, I feed fresh cleaned vegetables, fish flakes, and live foods that I grow myself.
I checked my parameters and there are no nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, or ammonia, they don't seem to have parasites or any other illness. I am using Parthenocissus quinquefolia leaves for my leaf litter since I have a few plants at home, they don't have any chemicals so I discard that as the cause so maybe they are toxic to fish? I did some research before adding them up but as I didn't find anything the I used them.
Have you been doing water changes every time a fish dies? Have you noticed any unusual behaviours from any of the fish in the tank?

Here is a picture of todays victim, is there anything wrong with him?

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_102912574.jpg
    IMG_20210118_102912574.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 51
It's hard to tell from the photo. Maybe something bacterial?

No nitrate? I would expect to see a reading for nitrate.

How long has the tank been set up, and how did you cycle it?

How often are you doing water changes and what volume? I noticed that my guppies do much better with water changes 1-2 times per week, especially if you are feeding them fresh vegetables as that tends to dirty the water quickly. I usually do 35-50% water changes.

What size tank do you have, how many fish are in there, and what are the tank buddies? What is the ph?

How often are you doing water changes and what volume? I noticed that my guppies do much better with water changes 1-2 times per week, especially if you are feeding them fresh vegetables as that tends to dirty the water quickly. I usually do 35-50% water changes.

What size tank do you have, how many fish are in there, and what are the tank buddies? What is the ph?
It's a 10 gallon.
My Ph is 7.5
I do 30% water changes twice a week
I have 4 guppies now (not including the de dead ones), 3 assassin snails, 8 otocinclus, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 goodea atripinnis and 2 Blue gourami, i am working on getting all the other fish their own tanks ay the moment, but the guppies are the only ones dying.

Your tank is overcrowded. Blue gourami need at least 30-35 gallon tank and the goodea atripinnis are better in a larger tank as well. Catfish and plecos make a lot of waste so a larger tank is better. The sooner you get bigger tanks, the better.

I'm slightly suspicious about your tank being cycled since you have no nitrate readings. It could have been cycled at first, but when you have too much of a bio load, the beneficial bacteria dies off. Could you do another nitrate reading just in case it was faulty?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back