Guppies dropping like flies - please help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ai787

Reaction score
I noticed one of my guppies swimming weirdly, in a downward spiral and unable to keep itself upright. It's gills were also horribly red and inflamed. A few minutes later, after I took the fish out, another has fallen ill also. All tank parameters are in the ideal range, 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm nirites, 5ppm nitrates, temperature is 25 degree Celsius and the PH is around 7.6. Any ideas or advice as to what this might be will be much appreciated! I've added tonic salt to the tank as that's all I have on me currently but I'm really stuck as to what this could be. Only thing I can think of is I added a couple of snails to the tank last night.

Hi and Welcome
I'm really sorry to hear about your guppies, it's horrible when something like that happens.
Did you quarantine the snails?
Someone with more experience will chime in soon.

I believe mostly is, it was a bit of a emergency set up but its been two weeks without issue, and I check daily. No Ammonia spikes at all have been detected, no Nitrite spikes and nitrates present. I moved everyone into a bigger tank as this was a rescue job, with their old filter and plants.

Hi and Welcome
I'm really sorry to hear about your guppies, it's horrible when something like that happens.
I did not, however, they were in the original tank I got the guppies in and had been living with them without issue for months before I switched the guppies over to a bigger tank. I was on the fence about adding then so I kept them in the old tank for around a week.

Hi and Welcome
is your tank properly cycled?
Sorry was unsure if I replied to you both properly as I'm new! They should be in the thread regardless, thank you for your help!

What type of test kit are you using?

Sorry was unsure if I replied to you both properly as I'm new! They should be in the thread regardless, thank you for your help!
All good!
The experienced one chimed in, you're in Fishmanics hands now!!

if you're using the API test kit, be sure to follow directions precisely and shake shake shake and then shake again the ammonia test bottles and the nitrate bottles. What is your water's GH...guppies prefer water on the hard side
Did you use a dechlorinator for water that was added to the tank?
What type of filtration are you using?
Do you have a aeration stone in your tank? Oxygen levels may be low. How much salt did you add?
At this point I would do another 75% water change using water treated with a dechlorinator.

Last edited:
if you're using the API test kit, be sure t ollow directions precisely and shake shake shake and then shake again the ammonia test bottles and the nitrate bottles. What is your water's GH...guppies prefer water on the hard side.
Did you use a dechlorinator for water that was added to the tank?
What type of filtration are you using?
I did the tests as accurately as I could following all instructions. I'm not too sure about GH but I'll test that soon with one of my test strips. Water is always declorinated before going in the tank. Filtration is biological I believe, the filter is very cheap and old, came with the guppies. I've been planning on getting a new one but I didn't want to disrupt the bacteria and haven't been able to get a hold of one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an airstone and airpump you could install?
Please reread my last post as I updated it

Do you have an airstone and airpump you could install?
Please reread my last post as I updated it
Thank you, I'll get on the water changes asap. The tank already has an airstone and the healthy fish seem like they're breathing okay, but would another one be needed? The sick fish have very red gills and are struggling with breathing and they almost look extended.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back