Guppies bullying molly

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Amy821us1

Reaction score
Hi! Iā€™m new to the fish world and I have three male guppies and one female balloon molly! I think I may need to go to Walmart tonight to go purchase another tank and remove the molly! My guppies are really ganging up on her and idk what to do! I feel bad for her! Any help please? Thanks

My guppies I have in the tank seem to be real bullies and I donā€™t know why! The people in the store said theyā€™d get along with the fish I have in my tank ā€ā™€ļø

Male livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) think about nothing but sex. If there are female fish in the tank with them, the males will constantly harass the female/s. For this reason, livebearers should be kept in single sex tanks (eg: all males or all females). If you want to keep males and females together, have at least 6 (preferably 10) females per male.

Male livebearers don't confine themselves to their own species, they will try to mate with females of any other species in the same tank. If there are no females of any kind, they will even try to mate with males.

Male livebearers don't confine themselves to their own species, they will try to mate with females of any other species in the same tank. If there are no females of any kind, they will even try to mate with males.

Thank you for the info! I ended up removing the one male guppy ( the sunburst one ) and afterwards with him out of the tank everyone finally calmed down! The whole tank of fish were upset over that guppyā€ā™€ļø!! Apparently he was the one causing the chaos!! That and the fact that I didnā€™t know anything about that and the pet store didnā€™t inform me when they sold them to me!!

I just felt bad for the molly! Sheā€™s seems to be such a peaceful calm fish and they really had her freaking out last night!! So I guess I go to work with a headache and major lack of sleep lol

I try to do as much as research as I can before adding anything but having fish isnā€™t as easy as it all sounds sometimes , evidently lol

Hi Amy,
Try to remember that not all people who work in a fish department or a local fish store are experts. Some are people who never owned a fish tank in their life and to them it's just a job. I find it's wonderful when I do find staff that has knowledge. I will drive extra miles to purchase fish and supplies from them. It never hurts to get to know them on a first name basis to show that you appreciate their help. I love that your first instinct was to purchase another tank to rescue the battered molly.
Since you are new..... Heater, filter, test kits, nitrogen cycle, ph,........... Any Questions ?

Mixing different species can sometimes lead to aggression, especially if the male guppies focus on the female molly. Consider adding more hiding spots or plants to break up their line of sight and provide her with places to escape.
I remember when I first started keeping fish, I had a similar situation with territorial behavior among my cichlids. It took some trial and error, but after adjusting the tank setup and rearranging decorations, they finally found their balance.
On a different note, remember to stay cautious online. It's essential to know how to deal with blackmail and protect your personal information. Keep your online presence secure, and enjoy your fish-keeping journey!

Last edited:
Mixing different species can sometimes lead to aggression, especially if the male guppies focus on the female molly. Consider adding more hiding spots or plants to break up their line of sight and provide her with places to escape.
I remember when I first started keeping fish, I had a similar situation with territorial behavior among my cichlids. It took some trial and error, but after adjusting the tank setup and rearranging decorations, they finally found their balance.
It's already an old thread. The OP might not response anymore...

Most reactions

Back