Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guppies bullying molly

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by Amy821us1, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:40 PM.

1. Amy821us1

Amy821us1 New Member

Hi! I’m new to the fish world and I have three male guppies and one female balloon molly! I think I may need to go to Walmart tonight to go purchase another tank and remove the molly! My guppies are really ganging up on her and idk what to do! I feel bad for her! Any help please? Thanks

2. Amy821us1

Amy821us1 New Member

My guppies I have in the tank seem to be real bullies and I don’t know why! The people in the store said they’d get along with the fish I have in my tank ‍♀️

3. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Male livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) think about nothing but sex. If there are female fish in the tank with them, the males will constantly harass the female/s. For this reason, livebearers should be kept in single sex tanks (eg: all males or all females). If you want to keep males and females together, have at least 6 (preferably 10) females per male.

4. essjay

essjay Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

Male livebearers don't confine themselves to their own species, they will try to mate with females of any other species in the same tank. If there are no females of any kind, they will even try to mate with males.

5. Amy821us1

Amy821us1 New Member

Thank you for the info! I ended up removing the one male guppy ( the sunburst one ) and afterwards with him out of the tank everyone finally calmed down! The whole tank of fish were upset over that guppy‍♀️!! Apparently he was the one causing the chaos!! That and the fact that I didn’t know anything about that and the pet store didn’t inform me when they sold them to me!!

6. Amy821us1

Amy821us1 New Member

I just felt bad for the molly! She’s seems to be such a peaceful calm fish and they really had her freaking out last night!! So I guess I go to work with a headache and major lack of sleep lol

7. Amy821us1

Amy821us1 New Member

I try to do as much as research as I can before adding anything but having fish isn’t as easy as it all sounds sometimes , evidently lol