Guppies at top of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
My filter is a tetra one that came with the tank - itā€™s like a waterfall kind of, Iā€™ve temporarily added in another smaller filter as I was worried that they may have been gasping for oxygen
that should help, lower the lights or turn them off

Having off lights helps relax them. That and not feeding them until tomorrow morning too (or whenever you feed the betta. One meal a day is perfectly alright for guppies and if theyā€™re hungry then they eat algae throughout the day). They may not take the food the first day, but in my experience guppies will never ever miss a chance to eat regardless of how new they are to a tank.

Having off lights helps relax them. That and not feeding them until tomorrow morning too (or whenever you feed the betta. One meal a day is perfectly alright for guppies and if theyā€™re hungry then they eat algae throughout the day). They may not take the food the first day, but in my experience guppies will never ever miss a chance to eat regardless of how new they are to a tank.
They were eating a bit earlier on (havenā€™t tried feeding them since putting in the betta). Ah thank you for the advice. Do you think that the ā€˜TetraMin Crispsā€™ are ok for them? I noticed that it was quite big for them.

They were eating a bit earlier on (havenā€™t tried feeding them since putting in the betta). Ah thank you for the advice. Do you think that the ā€˜TetraMin Crispsā€™ are ok for them? I noticed that it was quite big for them.
crush with fingers if too big.i've heard tetraMin is nice
for bettas and guppies a nice size food is Hikari micro-pellet(big for frys) and Hikari fancyguppy (maybe small for betta?)

should be good! I use TetraMin tropical flakes. What I do though is I crumble the flakes between my fingers to help break them up and they honestly donā€™t need that much. If your over feeding itā€™ll be super easy to tell because their tummies can get quite large.

I have a 29 and a 20 gallon that are absolutely stuffed with guppies and a moderate pinch of food is more than enough for either tank. Itā€™s also better to release the flakes under the surface of the water rather than dropping it through the food door. Guppies canā€™t release air so if you just sprinkle it on top they might accidentally swallow some with no way to get rid of it.

Last edited:
9DE73CA0-9133-4484-AA5A-9A5AAFEA9F83.png
Example of a guppy that had a bit too much to eat šŸ˜‚

Just as a thing with fish.

If a fish's mouth points up it is a surface feeder
If a fish's mouth points straight ahead it feeds from the middle of the tank
If a fish's mouth points down, it is a bottom feeder.

Guppies naturally want to be on the surface of the tank as that is where they feed.

Just as a thing with fish.

If a fish's mouth points up it is a surface feeder
If a fish's mouth points straight ahead it feeds from the middle of the tank
If a fish's mouth points down, it is a bottom feeder.

Guppies naturally want to be on the surface of the tank as that is where they feed.
Ah thank you that is helpful to know. Itā€™s just that they havenā€™t really left the surface at all (apart from 2) theyā€™re just staying up there.

There could be multiple reasons why those guppies stay to the surface: New environment (need some time to settle in), a certain feeling of threat by the betta (eventhough the betta can be friendly), acclimate to other water parameters or lack of oxygen (but I don't think that's the reason of them to stay at the surface).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back