Guppies at top of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bubbleguppy303

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a cycled 15 gallon planted tank. Today I added 6 guppies that I bought today. After 4-5 hours I added in my male Betta from my 5 gallon tank. Now my guppies are at the top of the tank (not dead.) Is it possible that I’ve added to many fish at a time? Is there anything I can do?

If you have plants, and they are healthy and some are reasonably fast-growers, you will not see ammonia (or cycling) issues no matter how many fish you add (obviously within reason for the tank size). There may or may not be another issue. Can you post a video of the fish? You upload the video to YouTube and then post that link here. Guppies do naturally spend a lot of time near the surface, so it may be nothing, or it could be an issue.

BTW, a male betta should not be housed with guppies (or any other fish for that matter). Bettas have a reputation for disliking guppies and similar-colourful fish, especially when they spend a lot of time in the betta's territory which is the entire surface of the tank. You may not see anything yet, but it is more likely not to work very soon. The betta will be much happier, less stressed, and healthier on his own in a 5g tank.

If you have plants, and they are healthy and some are reasonably fast-growers, you will not see ammonia (or cycling) issues no matter how many fish you add (obviously within reason for the tank size). There may or may not be another issue. Can you post a video of the fish? You upload the video to YouTube and then post that link here. Guppies do naturally spend a lot of time near the surface, so it may be nothing, or it could be an issue.

BTW, a male betta should not be housed with guppies (or any other fish for that matter). Bettas have a reputation for disliking guppies and similar-colourful fish, especially when they spend a lot of time in the betta's territory which is the entire surface of the tank. You may not see anything yet, but it is more likely not to work very soon. The betta will be much happier, less stressed, and healthier on his own in a 5g tank.
yep the betta could be stressing it out.

Hi,
I have a cycled 15 gallon planted tank. Today I added 6 guppies that I bought today. After 4-5 hours I added in my male Betta from my 5 gallon tank. Now my guppies are at the top of the tank (not dead.) Is it possible that I’ve added to many fish at a time? Is there anything I can do?
how did you cycle the tank? how long has it been cycled? what are the parameters?
videos would help :)

If the guppies are female is might be okay… but there’s a definite chance it won’t be. I’ve one instance of it working but the rest hasn’t been great.

If you can’t get the betta out due to whatever reason then just plants, plants, plants, hiding places, and more plants.

My betta is quite peaceful and I’ve been observing him since putting him in the tank and he hasn’t bothered them once - obviously this may not always be the case and I’ll definitely move him out if I see any aggression.

They’ve just stayed in the top right (two of them go down a bit but then go back up)

Do you also happen to know what kind of guppies they are?

Attachments

• 862D7D98-7D13-4D9E-921C-D307F7833CB9.png
    862D7D98-7D13-4D9E-921C-D307F7833CB9.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 64FE3F83-CEEA-4E47-B0B4-EABDBC599ED9.png
    64FE3F83-CEEA-4E47-B0B4-EABDBC599ED9.png
    198 KB · Views: 45
  • 35998891-7CD9-45B8-BC41-64E0015818D8.png
    35998891-7CD9-45B8-BC41-64E0015818D8.png
    185.7 KB · Views: 52
  • C6FC672B-3FD9-4FCD-B6B4-757A3EE5AFFE.jpeg
    C6FC672B-3FD9-4FCD-B6B4-757A3EE5AFFE.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 51
yep the betta could be stressing it out.

how did you cycle the tank? how long has it been cycled? what are the parameters?
videos would help :)
Just under a month and used some of the water from my other tank. Nitrate and nitrite were 0ppm, ph 8.0, hardness 180

These pictures might be a little better

Attachments

• FCBDDC3E-56FF-4A9D-9BBC-09B279700687.jpeg
    FCBDDC3E-56FF-4A9D-9BBC-09B279700687.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 43
  • E20C2390-581C-4E2E-B1F7-926D7803D382.jpeg
    E20C2390-581C-4E2E-B1F7-926D7803D382.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 41
  • D0D6F8CA-16AC-4FF7-91B8-3A1E851DA7A3.jpeg
    D0D6F8CA-16AC-4FF7-91B8-3A1E851DA7A3.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 39
  • A0FB9131-9027-403C-8C0F-D07199CB54E5.jpeg
    A0FB9131-9027-403C-8C0F-D07199CB54E5.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 35
My betta is quite peaceful and I’ve been observing him since putting him in the tank and he hasn’t bothered them once - obviously this may not always be the case and I’ll definitely move him out if I see any aggression.

They’ve just stayed in the top right (two of them go down a bit but then go back up)

Beautiful, that’s what they are! I’m a sucker for black/blue guppies.
@emeraldking is the guppy expert here, so hopefully they’ll be able to help!

I’ve been unable to check the parameters after putting them in though
It honestly could be a mixture of the following: nervous of new environment, nervous of a new type of fish they haven’t interacted with yet, store params could’ve been a bit different so the ph difference could have stunned them a bit if they werent accumulated.

It can take a fish a few days till they’re comfortable enough to fully explore. It took my gourami a week to stop hiding. Guppies tend to be braver but it really depends on the individual fish.
Edit: you need to watch the betta for a couple months at least. That’s when they start developing their territory and start defending it. Guppies should be able to safely outpace the betta, but you also have to be careful of the male guppies trying (and failing) to mate with the betta with results in an angry betta 😅

Beautiful, that’s what they are! I’m a sucker for black/blue guppies.
@emeraldking is the guppy expert here, so hopefully they’ll be able to help!
These pictures might be a little better
blue

do you have an air pump? what type of filter?
neon tuxedo guppy?

blue moscow?
im betting on blue tuxedo thou
It honestly could be a mixture of the following: nervous of new environment, nervous of a new type of fish they haven’t interacted with yet, store params could’ve been a bit different so the ph difference could have stunned them a bit if they werent accumulated.

It can take a fish a few days till they’re comfortable enough to fully explore. It took my gourami a week to stop hiding. Guppies tend to be braver but it really depends on the individual fish.
could be new fish, especially if there are no older guppies in the tank already there
same, my pearl gouramis took a month.
fish are really only braver when there are other ones of it's type in the tank already

Edit: you need to watch the betta for a couple months at least. That’s when they start developing their territory and start defending it. Guppies should be able to safely outpace the betta, but you also have to be careful of the male guppies trying (and failing) to mate with the betta with results in an angry betta 😅
Ah I see, and thank you for the advice 😂. Is there anything I could add?(like more plants?)

blue

do you have an air pump? what type of filter?
neon tuxedo guppy?

blue moscow?
im betting on blue tuxedo thou

could be new fish, especially if there are no older guppies in the tank already there
same, my pearl gouramis took a month.
fish are really only braver when there are other ones of it's type in the tank already
Ah that makes sense thank you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back