Guppies Are Staying Near Top Of Tank And Refuse To Go Deeper

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

your tap water probably contains nitrates - this is more than likely where it is coming from. If you want to know for sure run a full test on your tap water

Akasha72 said:
your tap water probably contains nitrates - this is more than likely where it is coming from. If you want to know for sure run a full test on your tap water
yep, you were right. I just did another 50% water change to eliminate the rest of the ammonia. I will test everything again except for ph and nitrate in a few minutes.

Water parameters: Ammonia 0-.25ppm(gravitating towards zero) Nitrite 0ppm.  

OldMan47 said:
It sounds like you are on the right track.
Yeah I agree. But the thing that worries me is that the nitrate isn't going up, here's my current water parameters Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate 5ppm as usual.

don't worry about Nitrate right now. The most important thing right now is your ammonia and nitrite. Forget about the NitrAte. The only time we worry about Nitrate is in an older set up when it can get really high. So long as it stays below 60-80 (which is something we don't see in a newly set up tank) it's not an issue.

Keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero via your water changes. Remember to temp match and dechlorinate the fresh water and add it slowly with the lights off to reduce the stress to the fish. 
One thing that I've not seen mentioned is feeding. Right now I'd keep food to once every other day as this will increase the ammonia and nitrite produced. Feed really lightly aswell and clean up anything they don't eat. 

Keep up the good work. It may feel hard and punishing right now but it'll be worth it in the end

Nitrate will not go up while you are doing enough water changes to hold down the ammonia and nitrites. Don't worry about it. Nitrates are an indication that the nitrogen cycle is completing in a tank that is not getting regular large water changes. That is not your situation.

Okay, thanks. Tonight was a great landmark. Here's why. Water Parameters: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm. Yay!

excellent news. Your finally heading the right way now. Keep checking the water and doing water changes when you see any rise and before you know it you'll be cycled :)

Cool. Should I keep up the 80% water changes, or go back to 50%?

I'd keep up the water changes on the larger side for another few days yet and then see if you can reduce them bit by bit - testing the tank twice daily in the process. 

If ammonia and nitrites are staying at zero, it is time to back off the water changes a bit and see how you are doing. Otherwise you might be doing those huge water changes for years. If a 50% water change shows a bit of ammonia or nitrite showing up again, you are not quite there yet and need to go back to the big water changes.

Okay, thanks. I'll do a 50% tonight to test the water, so to speak.

Well, a second guppy just suicided into the filter. I managed to get it out but it's in really bad shape. What should I do? my water parameters at the time of the incident are: Ammonia: .25 ppm, and NItrite 0ppm. Should I remove him from the tank. I don't know where I'll put him, I don't have a quarantine.

The other guppies may have been bullying him as I was watching them and they seem to be chasing the injured one around the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back