guppies and platies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
It has been one of those weeks, I have notice that just about all my anacharis has now melted away, I no longer have any in my tetra tanks:( and much of what I had in my guppy and shrimp tank is gone too. I went to the LFS yesterday and they can not even special order it. So I picked up a pair of platy and put them in my plant/shrimp tank for QT:). I only have one ghost shrimp left after the other one was found dead earlier this week:(My guppies are having plenty of fry most of which are orange like their parents:). So I started my tank water exchange for my two 29 gallon tanks today. I was carefully vacuuming my guppy tank when I saw my first male fancy guppy dead on the bottom:(. I had seen him swimming happily the day before. :( So I did a major water exchange and test everything alright. I then started Vacuuming my shrimp tank and suddenly noticed platy fry:hyper:. I was able to catch 2 and after carefully going through the waste water found 6 more. There were at least 2 more in the tank but I stopped at 8. I set up a fry net for them. I tried to take pictures but it was a blurry mess. Will try later.

Last edited:
Here is the pair of platys I bought yesterday, I am thinking of calling them George and Martha in honor of the Forth of July.

Attachments

• GEDC1409.JPG
    GEDC1409.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 111
  • GEDC1410.JPG
    GEDC1410.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 113
Here is the pair of platys I bought yesterday, I am thinking of calling them George and Martha in honor of the Forth of July.
I think of Denis the Menace with those names. Love it!

But definitely keep another female, males can harass the females

I recently went to a pond place near my house and they had mostly pond plants but they had alot of anacharis that was very healthy and like 2 or 3 feet long and it was super cheap. If you find a pond place near you I would see if they have it.

I recently went to a pond place near my house and they had mostly pond plants but they had alot of anacharis that was very healthy and like 2 or 3 feet long and it was super cheap. If you find a pond place near you I would see if they have it.
Thanks,:good: it was easy to find before C-19 but now it and most plants are hard to find here, I can not even get salvinia. I may end up going out to some of the local ponds and collect some duckweed. I had such beautiful long anacharis but not now, I have just a few small stems :(

I also never seem to have enough floating plants when I need them, I will have to think about pond supplies locally!

I have a tank of platys (red wag and hifin variatus sunset and greens, some with mickey mouse markings. Red wags never seem to have babies!! I will have to gets some pics

I also never seem to have enough floating plants when I need them, I will have to think about pond supplies locally!

I have a tank of platys (red wag and hifin variatus sunset and greens, some with mickey mouse markings. Red wags never seem to have babies!! I will have to gets some pics
The 8 fry in the fry net seem to be doing well, I put in some ground up flakes and they seemed to like it. I saw the two free fry still swimming around. They are very quick for their tiny size. Wish I had more plants in that tank for them to hide. I got rid of all my plastic plants, I guess I should have kept a few.

Last edited:

I've got TONS of floaters. PM me if interested

Thanks,:good: it was easy to find before C-19 but now it and most plants are hard to find here, I can not even get salvinia. I may end up going out to some of the local ponds and collect some duckweed. I had such beautiful long anacharis but not now, I have just a few small stems :(
I concur that plants are hard to find, I went to my LFS and there wasn't much. She got me a bit of eloeda from a display tank but said she'd been told to sell it sparingly. Apparently air freight costs are un-viable. Why doesn't anyone supply plants from within the UK???

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back