Guppies And Endlers Together?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BlueDragon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I have one male Guppy and three females. They're in with two female Platies. When I was reserching Fish that would best suit my tank and enviroment I looked up both Guppies and Endlers. But there was limited info on Endlers and I found out a lot more about Guppies. So in the end I got them 'cause I felt more comfortable that I knew how to care for them. But since then I've learnt that actually Endlers are more or less the same thing as a Guppy but smaller, is that right? They come from the same area of the world/need the same temp etc?

So I still would like some Endlers, mainly 'cause I think the colours you get with them are beond stunning! But my question is will there be any problems with keeping Guppies and Endlers together? Obviously I'd get males and females to the same numbers as is needed for Guppies, say one male and three/four females, so they had their own species to get along with. But are there any breeding or bullying problems that could occur? I really can't seem to find much out about it.

I understand that some people are against keeping them together 'cause they could produce hybrid babies together. Is that likey, and why is it a problem? Are these hybrids likely to have health problems?

So I have one male Guppy and three females. They're in with two female Platies. When I was reserching Fish that would best suit my tank and enviroment I looked up both Guppies and Endlers. But there was limited info on Endlers and I found out a lot more about Guppies. So in the end I got them 'cause I felt more comfortable that I knew how to care for them. But since then I've learnt that actually Endlers are more or less the same thing as a Guppy but smaller, is that right? They come from the same area of the world/need the same temp etc?

So I still would like some Endlers, mainly 'cause I think the colours you get with them are beond stunning! But my question is will there be any problems with keeping Guppies and Endlers together? Obviously I'd get males and females to the same numbers as is needed for Guppies, say one male and three/four females, so they had their own species to get along with. But are there any breeding or bullying problems that could occur? I really can't seem to find much out about it.

I understand that some people are against keeping them together 'cause they could produce hybrid babies together. Is that likey, and why is it a problem? Are these hybrids likely to have health problems?
You're more likely to buy hybrid guppy-endlers than pure ones anyway. No health problems, just guppies with endler tails as a result of breeding between the species.

Like fishblast said most of the endlers in the LFS are crosses. Mines are fine with my guppies, they get along great and my female endler has just had babies this morning so more crosses on the way lol.
I think people only say you shouldn't keep them together if you are serious breeder and don't want to taint the bloodlines etc. But I agree with you that they are stunning I love mine :D

Like fishblast said most of the endlers in the LFS are crosses. Mines are fine with my guppies, they get along great and my female endler has just had babies this morning so more crosses on the way lol.
I think people only say you shouldn't keep them together if you are serious breeder and don't want to taint the bloodlines etc. But I agree with you that they are stunning I love mine :D
I keep wondering how come I managed to get endler-like guppies in an F3 generation though. I had no such thing as endlers (all females had colored pink / yellow tails and all males looked like your average trapezoid tail guppies with flame patterns.).
The resulting two individuals had endler body coloration (red dots and black dots with some green shine) but gray tails that looked like Endlers' tails.

I keep wondering how come I managed to get endler-like guppies in an F3 generation though. I had no such thing as endlers (all females had colored pink / yellow tails and all males looked like your average trapezoid tail guppies with flame patterns.).
The resulting two individuals had endler body coloration (red dots and black dots with some green shine) but gray tails that looked like Endlers' tails.

oooh they sound lovely :D My female endler is a sort of gold/brown colour. Very small and very plain. The endlers in the lfs were plain but with dots of colour and red bars on their tails. That's the ones I have but I think they are crosses as they have a green shine to them. Their tails are plain with just the red bars. I can't wait to see what the fry turn out like!

oooh they sound lovely :D My female endler is a sort of gold/brown colour. Very small and very plain. The endlers in the lfs were plain but with dots of colour and red bars on their tails. That's the ones I have but I think they are crosses as they have a green shine to them. Their tails are plain with just the red bars. I can't wait to see what the fry turn out like!
Well, I had them back in 2000 or so, they only lived about 2 years. Couldn't breed them due to the whole generation's females going sterile.
I don't have a pic of them but this best describes what they looked like:
DSCF9852.jpg

But with the forked tail like this one, only gray instead of red.
endler-lutinomagenta-8.jpg

Oh well, I miss my guppy colonies, but I've started a swordtail colony because it's easier to keep their population in check and they have bigger bodies that have some colors I like a lot.

BlueDragon, guppies and endlers will get along just fine, in fact they will get along so well that you will have no idea what the fry are coming from. Guppies and endlers breed with each other way too easily and produce very fertile hybrids in the process. As soon as you mix them, both species completely lose their identity as a distinct species. That means that if you ever want to pass some along, you will have no idea what to call them unless you manage to develop a new hybrid strain. At that point you simply call them endlers and ignore the fact that they are not endlers. It is exactly what tiger endlers and several other named bright variations are. They are not endlers but breeders have chosen to completely ignore that when they sell them and have misled tons of people into thinking they were buying endlers.

Thanks for all your replies peoples : )

Well, the ones in my petshop looked like the 'wild types' you see photos of, with colorful spots of red and black colour but they had dull tails. The females were all dull and even some of suppoed males were quite dull too, but they were smaller so maybe they were just slower to develop. But they were all noticbly smaller than the Guppies... the smallest looking more like little Tetra. But I like that they're quite small and they seem to shimmer little little gems.

@OldMan, so in the end would I not be able to tell them apart? There would be no Guppy-looking Fish and no Endler-looking Fish, they would all just look like the same cross? Or would I end up with ones that look more like Guppies and ones that look more like Endlers? Would I just end up with one kind of Fish?
I don't want to be a serious breeder, but I wouldn't misslead people like that. I'd probably end up calling them Endies or Gupplers or something. I think it's important to know what your Fish are, even if they're crossed with something so simmilar it probably doesn't make that much difference. But I'd tell people what they were anyway.

So the ones I see in the petshop are what I'd end up with if I kept them and my Guppies together?

Hmm, see I like Guppies for the way they look and the way they behave and the same with the little Endlers. So I'm wondering now if I want to mix them and end up with a different kind of Fish. A part of me doesn't, I want to keep them seperate for what they are, but at the same time I can't deny that I'm interested in what the crosses would end up looking like. Tiny Endlers with lovely Guppy-like tails or Guppies with Endler colours would be very atractive little Fish, I'm sure.

I think I'll try to look up what they would look like if I were to keep them together. See if I like the outcome or not.

Thanks for all the info people : )

Thanks for all your replies peoples : )

Well, the ones in my petshop looked like the 'wild types' you see photos of, with colorful spots of red and black colour but they had dull tails. The females were all dull and even some of suppoed males were quite dull too, but they were smaller so maybe they were just slower to develop. But they were all noticbly smaller than the Guppies... the smallest looking more like little Tetra. But I like that they're quite small and they seem to shimmer little little gems.

@OldMan, so in the end would I not be able to tell them apart? There would be no Guppy-looking Fish and no Endler-looking Fish, they would all just look like the same cross? Or would I end up with ones that look more like Guppies and ones that look more like Endlers? Would I just end up with one kind of Fish?
I don't want to be a serious breeder, but I wouldn't misslead people like that. I'd probably end up calling them Endies or Gupplers or something. I think it's important to know what your Fish are, even if they're crossed with something so simmilar it probably doesn't make that much difference. But I'd tell people what they were anyway.

So the ones I see in the petshop are what I'd end up with if I kept them and my Guppies together?

Hmm, see I like Guppies for the way they look and the way they behave and the same with the little Endlers. So I'm wondering now if I want to mix them and end up with a different kind of Fish. A part of me doesn't, I want to keep them seperate for what they are, but at the same time I can't deny that I'm interested in what the crosses would end up looking like. Tiny Endlers with lovely Guppy-like tails or Guppies with Endler colours would be very atractive little Fish, I'm sure.

I think I'll try to look up what they would look like if I were to keep them together. See if I like the outcome or not.

Thanks for all the info people : )
I think most would just get the endler tail (which is kind of plain, in my opinion).
I prefer the guppy solid color tail more, they can develop colourful bodies too.

Thanks FishBlast. I've been looking up hybrids and many seem to end up with the colourful Guppy tails while still retaining the Endler body colours. But as I say the ones in my petshop did have dull tails. So maybe your right. Maybe it depends on how far you take the breeding?

Thanks FishBlast. I've been looking up hybrids and many seem to end up with the colourful Guppy tails while still retaining the Endler body colours. But as I say the ones in my petshop did have dull tails. So maybe your right. Maybe it depends on how far you take the breeding?
These are what I find plain tailed:
G-wild-endler-snakeskin-hybrid.jpg

Albino-Med.A.jpg

As opposed to the guppy fancy tail:
GBuadier%20HBAOC.jpg

blue-grass-guppy1.jpg

guppy.jpg

Poecilia-reticulata.jpg

That last one looks almost like my fire patterned guppies, only that it lacks yellow between the reds and black dots. And doesn't have zig-zag black lines. ^

Yeah, I see what you mean by the 'plain' tails. Not much colour in them compaired with Guppy tails. But you have to admit that those tails are still quite pretty. I love that stripey one at the top : )

Yeah, I see what you mean by the 'plain' tails. Not much colour in them compaired with Guppy tails. But you have to admit that those tails are still quite pretty. I love that stripey one at the top : )
Yeah, somewhat pretty but not as cool. A snakeskin guppy is what I'd love to have. Awesome body color and tail color.

I thought my Sunny was going to turn into a snakeskin at one point. His tail kept getting more and more black lines and stripes in it and they were starting to get quite involved. But he had no black on his body, no spots or stripes.

Yep, I like snakeskins too, but you know, I'm not a fan of the more over-the-top kinds of Guppy. The ones where there's more tail and fins than Fish, or ones where there's every colour mixed in there somewhere. I like the slightly plainer ones really, the ones with fewer colours and I like ones with smaller fins... although there are exeptions!

...I think I'm the only one though : /

Mine didn't have too long fins, but their trapezoid flame tail looked cool. Their body was plain half silver half black. Then the F3 generation was all green flames. They had the black zig-zag pattern but lost their red and yellow. Even the females. I started out with red / yellow tailed females and ended up with green tails (+ those two gray endler-like males that came out of nowhere in a guppy F3 generation...)
Also, whole F3 generation of females was sterile (or maybe the males? Or both genders? As no female from that generation ever fell pregnant over 1.5 years.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back