Gunk on airlines

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That's just a calcium hard water build up like @PheonixKingZ and others have said. I tried silicone airline tubing last year and didn't like it. It got that stuff on it way faster than the cheap airline tubing. I can't tell from your pictures. Do you have an open top ? If so, then that would speed up that accumulation.

That's just a calcium hard water build up like @PheonixKingZ and others have said. I tried silicone airline tubing last year and didn't like it. It got that stuff on it way faster than the cheap airline tubing. I can't tell from your pictures. Do you have an open top ? If so, then that would speed up that accumulation.
No it's a closed top tank. Water here is meant to be on the softer side, which is confusing.

I've bought some black silicone tubing to see if it helps but after what you've said I guess it's just going to show up even worse against the black.

Nightmare!

My water is softish (GH around 5 dH) and I got that white goo. I never found out what it was, I just scraped it off.

My water is softish (GH around 5 dH) and I got that white goo. I never found out what it was, I just scraped it off.
Do you still get it or does it only happen on certain tubing like silicone?

I don't use the sponge filter that used the air pump and tubing now. (It's in the cupboard in case I ever need it again).

To be honest, I haven't a clue what the tubing was made from. It came with the air pump (an Eheim) and the description on their website and the manual don't say.

I don't use the sponge filter that used the air pump and tubing now. (It's in the cupboard in case I ever need it again).

To be honest, I haven't a clue what the tubing was made from. It came with the air pump (an Eheim) and the description on their website and the manual don't say.
Fair enough..
Looks like I'll just have to clean it during a water change. No biggy

That stuff could be anything. I watched a show on PBS about the Dead Sea and they were talking about things like potash and magnesium in the water. The Dead Sea is super saltwater, I just mention that to illustrate that worldwide there are many different water conditions. Water conditions and mineral makeup are different everywhere and can be different just a few miles away. Just another fascinating aspect of our hobby.

That stuff could be anything. I watched a show on PBS about the Dead Sea and they were talking about things like potash and magnesium in the water. The Dead Sea is super saltwater, I just mention that to illustrate that worldwide there are many different water conditions. Water conditions and mineral makeup are different everywhere and can be different just a few miles away. Just another fascinating aspect of our hobby.
Ok.
As it's a new tank cycling I was just a bit concerned.
Is it bad? get rid.
Is it beneficial? leave it.

It looks like something I don't really need to worry about.

He hopes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back