Guitar Strings Rust?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Ok, i've got a strat, and the strings keep rusting. I'm not sure exactly why, or if it's because i live in Malaysia (humidity), so anyone has experience with this before?

Thanks,

P.T.

Wipe them down after playing. The oils & sweat from your fingers will cause corrosion on the strings, as well as the frets after some time. It's also a good idea to wipe down the bridge if you do any amount of palm muting.

How about some details on the ax, year, color, pickup config, etc. Post a pic too! :)

I've got a '77 & a '78, along with a few other toys to go along with them.

Expensive option, but if your room which your guitar is in is very humid, it might be worth getting a de-humidifier for that room.

We wanna see some pics of your guitar :)

What strings you use? And what gauge?

Ok guys, thanks for the tips :D

It's just an mexican made standard strat, but its got that little 60th anniversary logo behind it. I'm not entirely sure what gauge it is, its just the strings that came with the guitar, Fender Bullet strings or something like that. I'm probably gonna change the strings, but i'm not sure how to do that with a floating bridge. Any tips on that?

Here's the best i can do with my camphone:

the ax itself:

Picture45.jpg

the headstock 8)

Picture46.jpg

And the anniversary logo (can't really see it clearly in the pic, but its the round thingy on the left)

Picture47.jpg

Now how bout some pics from you guys? ;)

P.T.

If it's the stock strat bridge, it isn't a floating bridge. Unless Fender has redesigned their bridge, you can just push down on the bar, not push or pull like a Floyd rose type bridge. That being the case, the springs in the back lock the bridge block to the body. Just change the strings one at a time to avoid having to play with the truss rod, that can be a pain if you aren't familiar with neck adjustments.

New strats are usually strung with 9's, I prefer 10's, they get a little more sustain, & heavier sound for power chords. I haven't tried the bullets for a lot of years, they used to have a problem with the little metal "bullet" at the string end popping off, but that's going back 25 years. I've been using GHS strings for a while.

I'll post some pics later, if I start dragging out guitars, I'll start playing them. That means I won't finish the house painting project I started yesterday. :)

Hey guys, so i'm wiping it and all that, but it still keeps rusting now. It's like the process has started and i cant stop it. How do i stop it?

P.T.

Yup, if they started rusting it's time for new ones.

Finally dug into the guitar collection, only a couple are ones I play on a regular basis. My wife kinda freaked when I started taking pics, "You're not selling any?!?" Yeah, right, when it freezes over.

'78 Strat, Slight wear on the 2nd fret. The guy who owned it for a year was into country, & only knew 1 chord. All original in mint shape, it stays stored;

dsc01181strat28as.jpg

'77 Strat, I bought it new & have played it pretty constantly since. All original except for the humbucker in the bridge position & being refretted twice. Many years of wear, I couldn't live without this guitar;

dsc01183strat18zq.jpg

Back view, no whammy, so no hole in the body=better sustain.

dsc01185stratback6qt.jpg

Early '70's P bass, only thing original is the tuners. Kubicki neck, Semour Duncan & Jackson pickups, Badass bridge, body is Fender but routed for pickups & controls. Wicked metal ax;

dsc01178pbass0ph.jpg

'66 Jaguar, all original, another one that stays stored;

dsc01175jag5ab.jpg

'39 National New Yorker. All original, missing the little triangular pickguard. I have a matching tube amp stashed with amp gear in another part of the house. You know this one stays stored;

dsc01187nat4db.jpg

The ones in storage get played around twice a year, and get restrung if necessary. Keeping them tuned down a step saves on the neck.

There has to be more guitar players on this board. :)

Sweeeeeeeeet. Now i'm gonna have to come over and rob you some day. The 39' New Yorker looks pretty interesting. One of the first electrics?

Btw, sounds like your wife loves your guitars too :D

P.T.

yeh, i change strings when they sound dead, its recommended to change them every 2 months, but i know various sheffield musicians that change them before every gig!

i use ernie ball super slinkys (9's) for my 1981 ibanez double cutaway artist, and ernie ball slinkys (10's) for my richwood greaser

Ash, is there much of a difference between the 9's and 10's? I've just changed mine, but i stuck to 9's, D'Addario EXL120s

P.T.

i know guitarists that think they prove they are more of a man by using 10's, (ernie ball 9's even come in a pink pouch!), but i've always stuck by 9's on my electric.

the difference is the slight thickness in the strings, i use 9's because it is easier to pull off bends and vibrato, heavier guage strings (10's and up) give more tone (i barely notice this on an electric). Acoustics on the other hand in my opinion sound much better with heavier gauge strings.

overall it is a matter of preference stick with what you know or experiment, the choice is yours! i'm addicted to ernie ballson my electric though, dunno why, just think they sound better than others i've tried.

how long did u leave the last set of strings on before they went rusty, how often do u play? if it happens within 2-3 months i'd invest in a stick of fast fret, lasts for ages and really does work

Hmm ok. I think i'll stick with 9's, they're comfortable and i'm used to it, though of course i may experiment with other gauges in the future. I play it pretty much everyday for an hour at least, usually more, and it rusted real quick actually. About a month or so. But i'm not sure if i can find fast fret here. Any alternatives?

P.T.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back