What's new

Guinea Pigs

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

monica

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well in a month or so I will be getting a Guinea pig. I was wondering if the following would ensure a nice life for her? I have researched, but I wanted a second opinion.

I will be getting a female, so that she will not 'mark her territory' with smell.
I will be rescueing her from an animal rescue society. What should I look for when browsing?
I will be using a 2 ft. by 1 ft. wire cage for her. Is this an appropriate size?
What is a good amount of floor time? (daily or weekly)
I will be getting a shorthair (all going in the same direction) Do these require grooming? If so, how often?
For bedding, I was hoping to use paper shreddings. How often is good for cleaning?
and...
How do you like the name Annie?

I will be adding more most likely.
If you could answer any; thanks.

Ok here goes;

Guinea pigs will have an aroma whether they are male or female, although getting a sow (female) would be better because:

Guinea pigs are sociable so like company, if the rescue centre has any pairs it would be better to adopt a pair. However, if you are adopting a sow
then you could always bond her with a second sow (at a later date) as, from my experience sows are more accepting of each other.

That cage is too small, i think its recommended that for one piggie the cage size should be 7.5 square feet. And the bigger the accomodation, the easier it would be to add a second piggie.

It would also mean less floor time. My five get a couple of hours free range a week, which isnt alot but they have plenty of room in their hutch.

Grooming on sleek piggies is nothing more than a little brush over every now and then. I have 3 long haired guinea pigs who have weekly haircuts.

Shredded paper is fine but don't forget the hay! Guinea pigs love bedding down in hay aswell as eating it! :good:

Hi,

Please get more than one and please get a bigger cage, i would recommend joining a guinea pig forum. i currently have a pair of boys and 7 girls the girls all live together, they are very social animals.

Emma :)

the deffinitly need hay, as well as extra bedding they eat it and it will help keep their teeth down as they have something to grind on.
deffinitly get at least 2 if you can, cant see a rescue letting 1 female go on her own unless to go with another female, I know we dont.

Thanks. Do I need to cut her nails ever?
I will se about getting 2, but I Think my SPCA has lots of females that are alone. (They have been that way from earlier in their lives)

With careful introduction two females could easily become friends! I had two females together since they were babies, i then added
another two females and they get along fine.

Their nails do need cutting occasionally but a vet would also cut them fairly cheaply. :good:

when looking at the piggies you should check for bright eyes, clean ears and nose, and check teeth are not too long (as they are rodents they constantly grow) and also that their teeth meet together otherwise you will have to keep taking them to vet to have their teeth clipped. I imagine they will all be fairly shy with a stranger so no particular behaviour to look for. Don't forget to feed your pig some nice fresh veg especially cucumber - they love it!!

Good for you for rehoming piggies!!

when looking at the piggies you should check for bright eyes, clean ears and nose, and check teeth are not too long (as they are rodents they constantly grow) and also that their teeth meet together otherwise you will have to keep taking them to vet to have their teeth clipped. I imagine they will all be fairly shy with a stranger so no particular behaviour to look for. Don't forget to feed your pig some nice fresh veg especially cucumber - they love it!!

Good for you for rehoming piggies!!
Thank you, I was looking for that!
I will be sure to watch. Fresh veggies and hay is what I know to offer. As well as some Vit. C.
What could result from Dirty ears? And how should I check the teeth?

There is no need to add vit C into the water,as long as they get fresh veggies every day they will get all the vitC from them.
between me and my fosterer we have 49 in at the moment.
Like the others say dont get a single piggy
For 2 piggies you will need a cage approx 4ft x 2ft in size

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back