Guinacara Geayi(?) With Dithers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MartinS

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've enquiries about a pair of fish listed as Guinacara geayi, but after some googling, it appears that it's most likely to be one of the other Guinacara species. I am in the process of transferring my stock to a 450l tank and that stock consists of 35 rummynose tetra, 26 purple emperor tetras and a selection of woodcats and others (see signature).
As Guinacara do not appear to get much bigger than 6", I wondered how they would fare in my tank? Are any of the smaller tetras at risk? It will have lots of bogwood and plants and I'd really like something like this but don't want to put the existing stock at risk.
Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Thanks
Martin

Hi think this wants to be in the New World section ;)

I had a singleton Guianacara for a while and they were pretty nasty to other cichlids but I bet in a pair or possibly ideally a group it would work out nice.

I think the smaller fish would be safe as they are not really predatory - they are sifters (so make sure you have a sand substrate)

And as you say - Gaeyi are rare in the hobby (if you ask some people, they say they dont actually exist anymore) They are probably Sphenazona - though check the position of the lateral line spot and the eye stripe. Its the location of the spot and the completion of the line and placing of the stripe help determine the species.

Sounds a good tank though :)

Wills

Thanks Wills.
Actually, reading the post again, it appears there is only 1, which is a shame!
It is currently in with a selection of other cichlids:
1 x Male Guinacara Geayi
2 x Red Breast Acara M&F
2 x Crenicichla Regani M&F
1 x Male Geophagus Steindachneri
1 x Female Bolivian Ram
2 x Angels

But I had read 2, somehow! Shame.
The C.regani would be lovely but they are predatory and I know I'd lose some of the smaller fish with these. Will maybe look at the angels instead, depending on the variant (don't like the koi/man-made variants).
I hope it will be! Looking forward to giving the new group of Spinipterus sp(1) more room, and maybe adding a group of Spinipterus acsi too.
Thanks again
Martin

You and your catfish eh ;) Very nice!!

The Regani would be nice but like you say would need a rethink on the other tetras - The Red Breast Acara would be nice though :) And totally agree on the angels - the only ones I think that have bettered the wilds are the blue ones but on the black and silver stripes just so they get that blue sheen, I quite like it.

Wills :)

It seems like the C.regani may be a possibility as the tank is quite a decent size. All the tetras are a good size, and there will be lots of plants and wood to hide amongst. The chap selling them is away for a couple of weeks, so I'll have time to get the tank settled. I will keep considering the options, and wait until I see the fish in person and go from there.
Me and my catfish indeed! Been keeping them since I was a young boy, just always been my favourite family.
Martin

Ive only kept a few pikes, I had a regani and he was lovely but I was worried he had some kind of Lymphosystitus - so had to move him on. The reason I was worried was that he hid a lot so I couldnt really see what was going on but he was big. He is still going strong with his new keeper though :) I would really think about pikes again though. The other time I had them were two juvies one anhiliated the other but I couldnt keep the smaller tank going as a grow out so ended up rehoming him as well... Nice fish though.

Just trying to think about the smallest fish I had the big one with - probably Lemon Tetras actually and he never showed any interest... see how you feel, its not like your not used to predatory fish :)

My ears are getting pricked by catfish at the moment... had some issues in my tank and in a position to think about a restock soon... thinking about Synos, Limas and Wood Cats.... might need to picky your brain :)

Wills

Ive only kept a few pikes, I had a regani and he was lovely but I was worried he had some kind of Lymphosystitus - so had to move him on. The reason I was worried was that he hid a lot so I couldnt really see what was going on but he was big. He is still going strong with his new keeper though :) I would really think about pikes again though. The other time I had them were two juvies one anhiliated the other but I couldnt keep the smaller tank going as a grow out so ended up rehoming him as well... Nice fish though.

Just trying to think about the smallest fish I had the big one with - probably Lemon Tetras actually and he never showed any interest... see how you feel, its not like your not used to predatory fish :)
I am definitely tempted by them. I wouldn't be totally heartbroken if they snacked on the emperor tetras, but think the rummynose should be fine. And they are a pair that are currently in a 3' with the other fish above!! They will have lots of room in my 5'
My ears are getting pricked by catfish at the moment... had some issues in my tank and in a position to think about a restock soon... thinking about Synos, Limas and Wood Cats.... might need to picky your brain :)

Wills
Just shout and if I can help, I will. How is the Ageneiosus you had?
Martin

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back