Guess What I Got

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The cory is not the most tropical catfish in the world, but he still won't like the coldwater probably. I definately wouldn't have a cory in there with plain gravel....its uncomfortable for them as they spend all of their lives resting on/sliding across the bottom, and are natural diggers and need sand. If I had that sized tank I would get a heater, exchange the gravel for sand, get more cory friends, and chock it full of guppies of the same color (like the yellow sunset variety).

Or I would take those back and just get another goldfish. Just a note on goldfish though. They DO and WILL grow large if you keep them right and they will require good biological filtration. Its a good idea to be able to vacuum the gravel at least once a week with at least a once a week 20% water change. They require good nutrition and as far as I'm concerned there is no other worthy goldfish good but Hikari brand. They also appreciate light....but standard lighting will do fine. Too much and you'll have algae, since you can't have live plants with goldfish (they eat plants).

Oh....and above all.....have FUN with the new tank!

I keep goldfish, tropicals and brackish and the goldfish are definitely the messiest. I can get away with changing the water every other week on my other tanks, but the goldfish always has to get a weekly change. They are definitely great fish though with lots of personality. I prefer them to schooling fish who are pretty, but don't have that individualized personality that really attaches you to a pet. Definitely get the cory into a tropical tank or take it back though along with any other little tropicals that you might have in there(I thought I saw another fish hiding behind a plant). Instead, get another goldfish(fancy type) and a bristlenose pleco and you'll have a happy tank!

I keep goldfish, tropicals and brackish and the goldfish are definitely the messiest. I can get away with changing the water every other week on my other tanks, but the goldfish always has to get a weekly change. They are definitely great fish though with lots of personality. I prefer them to schooling fish who are pretty, but don't have that individualized personality that really attaches you to a pet. Definitely get the cory into a tropical tank or take it back though along with any other little tropicals that you might have in there(I thought I saw another fish hiding behind a plant). Instead, get another goldfish(fancy type) and a bristlenose pleco and you'll have a happy tank!

I agree! Just make sure its a bristlenose or rubberlip (bulldog)....not a common! A common will suck their sides off trying to eat their slime coating. Yes...I mean literally suck their sides off.

the cory i have had for over a year now and there is a heater in there and the tape is now off becuase i now have a hood!

so u have to go to tropical and get rid of goldfish(cant survive w/ temp over 65 i think) or take the cory and heater back and do a goldfish tank

TROP TROP TROP

I agree that you can't keep both together but goldfish can survive temps up to 80 degrees....they just won't live as long and happy life...in fact they'll be miserable. They can tolerate temps up to 75 just fine, though....that's on the very low end for tropicals.

Its just still not a good mix.

well it has survived all this time becuase it has lived with the trops for about 3 months now and i have had goldfish with tropicals before and they did jsut fine so i am going to watch them!

It seems to me that if you are going to come here for advice, take it.

Its very rude, as well as a waste of moderators and members time, to ask what their opinion is then disregard it completely.

With that said,

Goldfish are a cool water fish.... they require 45-65 degree water, so they do not take well to the hot water, it stresses them, so while they may look fine for now, they will probably die of stress if they are subjected to constant [over]heating of the water.

Tropical fish (Cories) prefer 68-80 degree water (with a few exceptions) and also most require a different diet than the common goldfish, making two valid reasons why these two types of fish should not be kept together.

Now, either take the advice given, not neccesarily by me, but by the collective experience of the moderators and members of this site, or dont, but if you don't, think twice about posting your problems here, because people are less likely to waste their time trying to solve your problems if you arent going to listen.

the goldfish is a fantail and the goldfish eats tropical fish flakes for his diets! so it is not a problem and i am leaving this site
so there u go u

Dean its great you got a new tank! You could move your moors over to it and put the cory and other trops in the 10 gal. If you still have your hillstream loach it would be better in this tank also. Get a powerhead and put a Quik Clean filter on it near the bottom of you tank to keep it happier.

(Note: this is not the perfect set up for what I said no, but it is better then what he has got and he is learning.)

Dean how old are you? You sound like you are really trying to learn about fish. Knowing your age may help us understand you better.

i can see a guppy and a cory in there, i think you should take them back to the pet shop and get 1 more goldfish :nod: other wise the 2 tropicals might die :(

With a single goldfish in a 10g, you are fully stocked.

Whoever also said that goldfish are low maintenance is also incorrect. They are messy eaters, grow large, and need plenty of swimming room. The fact you don't need a heater does not mean they need less maintenance.

if only my 10 gallon can support 3 filters :lol:

Most reactions

Back