Growth Rate Per Month

jonny_dw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Cant seem to find a straight answer anywhere but what is the average growth rate per month for a common goldfish and comet when giving the correct space and diet?

Need to know for an estimate for my mates pond :good:

the answer varies between types of goldie and genetics.

i have two three year old pond bred goldies that are barely 5 inches long, but this years batch are already half that size and more.

buying healthy stock is the main aim and i would give each potential 10 inch goldfish 100 gallons. so even if i bought a 2 inch goldie i would allow 100 gallons assuming it to grow to 10 inches in my pond.

I've usually found with my common & comet goldfish they grow 1inch every 3-4months, growing more when they are small and slowing down in growth as they become large. I agree with Black Angels estimate of 1 goldfish per 100gallons- if you had REALLY good filtration and a large pond you could probably stretch it to 1 goldfish per 50gallons, however in ponds goldfish can breed like rabbits (they usually spawn in spring) and so i would always recommend leaving some unused gallons in the pond to allow for occurrances like fry. I have 16 goldfish in my pond and they have had so many tiny fry i can't even count them all!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back