Growing green algae.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I believe blue is best, however it'll still appear in most sort of light.
You'll have to walk a fine line so as not to encourage black beard algae or hair algae.
I think it's more to do with nutrient control than most other things.

Direct sunlight gets it started here, but once it's established in the water, it seems I can grow it effectively with any strong LED lighting. It's getting it started that I found hard.

The hidden assumption here is that there is one color of light that algae uses. Unfortunately algae can use the entire visible spectrum of light. And there are algae species that can also use the invisible spectrum, UV and IR light. So to grow any algae any light source will work. The same is also true for plants.

My observations also indicate nutrients are the main driver of algae. And some types grow well in one mix of nutrients while other types will do better with a different mix of nutrients.

The hidden assumption here is that there is one color of light that algae uses. Unfortunately algae can use the entire visible spectrum of light. And there are algae species that can also use the invisible spectrum, UV and IR light. So to grow any algae any light source will work. The same is also true for plants.

My observations also indicate nutrients are the main driver of algae. And some types grow well in one mix of nutrients while other types will do better with a different mix of nutrients.
What type of nutrients?

What type of nutrients?
In order for plants to grow and reproduce they need:
Nitrogen
Potassium
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphorous
Sulfur
Chlorine
Iron
Manganese
Boron
Zinc
Copper
Molybdenum
Nickel

This list is order from the most heavily used nutrient (Nitrogen) to the least used (Nickel). If Just One is missing the plant will not grow and eventually will die. If a plant doesn't look right or or the leaves are damaged it is likely a nutrient issue. Tap water typically doesn't have all of these and many fertilizer don't have all of them or don't have enough. So using a fertilizer is no guarantee that your plants will get all they need.

In order for plants to grow and reproduce they need:
Nitrogen
Potassium
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphorous
Sulfur
Chlorine
Iron
Manganese
Boron
Zinc
Copper
Molybdenum
Nickel

This list is order from the most heavily used nutrient (Nitrogen) to the least used (Nickel). If Just One is missing the plant will not grow and eventually will die. If a plant doesn't look right or or the leaves are damaged it is likely a nutrient issue. Tap water typically doesn't have all of these and many fertilizer don't have all of them or don't have enough. So using a fertilizer is no guarantee that your plants will get all they need.
So Im assuming plant nutrients will eventually grow some green algae?

May I ask why you wish to grow green algae?
Just thought it’d be good for my Mbuna to munch on. I know most people like keeping a sterile looking tank, and it’s fine, I’m a bit of the opposite, I like a tank to look a bit more “aged” and natural, maintaining clean water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back