Grey Patches

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

julia298

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
One of my 5 cardinals has developed faded patches on his red stripe. \they have just turned grey. He is staying away from the otherrs for a lot of the time.

Hes been like that for about 5 days now. No other signs of disease. Eating & swimming ok.
Amm 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.4, Nitrate 5. Other cardinals seem fine too.

Saw one of the danios getting aggressive with the other danios. Could it be brusing from another fish?

Grey patches can mean parasites or bacteria infections, is the grey patch fluffy or slimey looking, any signs of laboured breathing or flicking and rubbing against objects, check the gills to see if they look inflamed or pale, or excess mucas on them.

I have looked but I cant see any sliminess at all. I put some general tonic in as soon as i saw he was off colour but no change yet.

Definitely not fluffy. Gills and breathing seem ok. No flicking. He is staying near back of tank behind plants and rock a lot of the time.

Does he hide alot as that is definately a sign there is something wrong, it rather parasites or bacterial when you don't no which one, mostly fish keepers start of with the bacterial course first if there is no laboured breathing or flicking and rubbing against objects.

Yes he is hiding more than he is out.

If i start with some bacterial med do I need to do anything first as I put interpret general tonic in on Saturday.

You will need to do a 30% water change then run some black carbon for a few hours, remove the carbon and add the med, good luck.

ok, thank you.

I hope that works, poor fishies.:sick:

One more question, I was about to put the guppies from my hospital tank in my main tank. Havent yet cos ich appeared. If treating main tank is it best to wait or should they be ok. Im very aware theyve had a lot of stres since i got them.

Personally I'd wait. If they've recently been treated for whitespot and been under stress it's unwise to give them more by moving them to another tank full of meds. Just wait til the course is done.
Hugs,
P.

OK any advice & thoughts on this.

Cardinal definitely not well, really hiding well now and colour very faded.

So would like to transfer him to hospital tank (recently got rid of white spot) and put the guppies from hos tank into main tank (recently treated with interpret gen tonic cos of this off-colour fish)

Is this asking for trouble or best course of action?

If he's really ill the med could finish him off faster, whitespot parasites can cause bacterial infections on top, or tthey still have parasites, can't tell which one it is at the moment, but if they still had a parasite infestation would of thought you would being symtoms by now.

If he's really ill the med could finish him off faster, whitespot parasites can cause bacterial infections on top, or tthey still have parasites, can't tell which one it is at the moment, but if they still had a parasite infestation would of thought you would being symtoms by now.

No, the cardinals in main tank, no whitespot been in there. Whitespot was in hospital tank.

What I was thinking was, the guppies that have just got rid of whitespot going into main tank if there is a bacterial infection in there, maybe theyll have low resistance still?. But all other fish in main tank seem fine and the cardinal has been greyish for about 5 days now.

If they had this i thought they would of been flicking and rubbing against objects, not the writer f this information
Costiasis Grey film on all or part of body. External protozoan parasite (costia necatrix). Use FUNGUS ELIMINATOR or BINOX. Use GOLD FIX on goldfish. Can enter other aquariums by spashing water or using nets from infected aquarium. Clean nets with NET SOAK.

Not the writer of this information below.
Costia

Symptoms:

Infected fish have soft, film-like skin turbidity. A grayish white film of excess mucous covers the entire body of the fish including the eyes. Severe infestations can lead to skin inflammation and deterioration. Reddening of the skin and bleeding, most often occurs on the underside of the mouth and the pectoral area of the body. Sick fish often rub or scratch against objects in the aquarium in an attempt to relieve irritation. Severely infected fish may become reclusive, listless, lie on the bottom of the aquarium and stop feeding.

Cause:

The parasitic flagellates Costia necatrix and Ichthyobodo necatrix. Costia is a small bean-shaped flagellate which attaches tightly to all areas of the skin, destroying the flesh. This parasite can only survive for approximately one hour without a host and does not tolerate temperatures above 86 - 90 F.

Treatment:

Raising the water temperature to 86 - 90 degrees may be helpful if your fish can tolerate the high temperatures. Quick Cure, Formalin, Malachite Green and Copper Sulfate are the drugs of choice for Costia. Costia infestations are highly contagious. All fish, including the aquarium, should be treated.

Just had a look at the meds I have and the velvet control's ative ingredient is copper sulphate which is what that info you just posted sugested. Does that sound ok to you? or protozin also says on the bottle it treats costiasis?

Once a fish has started hiding away Ive never managed to save it. Do you think it has much chance?

I would medicate the whole tank anyway, it worth ago, but he might not make it, sorry. yes that med sounds fine, also find an article saying to turn temp up to 30 like you do with whitespot, good luck.

Most reactions

Back