Greetings From Iowa. Hope I Am Doing This Right.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

prairiefire86

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new here although not new to fish keeping. I have a 180 gallon tank, it is 8 ft long. I have it decently planted mostly with some type of amazon sword. To be honest have been meaning to look them up after I killed 1/3 of my tank off by doing a partial water change last spring. Don't know why everything reacted so badly when every test I ran three times a day never showed anything. Think it was due to flushing of the lines at the water department. After that fustraton I am moving on. My survivors seem to be flourishing again. The tank is stable again (yes!). My lone twig of a amazon sward has grown and reproduced in the last two months to what you see in my photo. Most of my fish are pretty old... for example my emerald green cory cats are over ten years. I took them in 10 years ago from a cichlid owner... they had been blinded. Any how I am slowly adding back in my fish. Removing baby plecos as my commons won't stop breeding and hoping things stay pretty solid from here on out. For filtration I like a lot of flow for this tank. I run 2 G6s, for the carbon and particle;, as well as two other canister filters for biological. I hope to make one canister filter a infuser for Co2 but well see. Above my tank have a enclosure built with my water dragon. The enclosure allows access to the tank. She doesn't eat the fish so it works out well.
I have my degree in natural resources so I've taken many ecology courses as well as itchology and herpotology as well as ecology so my tank is like my playground lol. I have spent several years working in pet stores and fish stores although I took a different route for a career.... which is a job with some downtime.... so I am typing this on my phone so I apologize for any missed grammar because I this is a lot tiny screen. I will have a computer very soon. I am excited to meet you all!

Attachments

• IMG_764079647697756.jpeg
    IMG_764079647697756.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 81
welcomeani.gif
to the Forum.

Wow, great looking tanks!

And yes, you are doing this right, seems you had a bit of a rough ride but over the worst of it now. 
smile.png

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi there, welcome and thanks for showing us your amazing tanks!  I'd love to see a picture of your water dragon :)

Hi and welcome!
I am very impressed by your tanks, I like the idea you had of setting your water dragon with the tank under!
I had a water dragon before, I really loved him!

welcomeani.gif
to TFF!
I hope you enjoy it here, and would also really love to see pics of your water dragon, as well as some close-ups of your fishies! Beautiful tank.

Thanks. The water dragon tank is the plexiglass addition I have on top of my tank. I attached pictures of her in my 75 before I upgraded. To the 180 with her 90 gallon addition. She was a bit smaller then but I loved the look of that set up.

Attachments

• IMG_821678637188648.jpeg
    IMG_821678637188648.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_821678637188648.jpeg
    IMG_821678637188648.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_821663788569696.jpeg
    IMG_821663788569696.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_821853545200225.jpeg
    IMG_821853545200225.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 81
Excellent pictures, especially of your water dragon on last pic 
laugh.png

I hope that you know that she will grow bigger!
Maybe one day she will eat the fishies! :|

Fish crazy. Yes I am aware and thank you for the heads up as I know many people are not aware. I completely accept the fact that she will eat some of my fish. I love my fish but since it is a portion of her diet I offer lots of fish hid outs and her well fed. After several years of having her (gosh I think 5 years now) she has yet to eat a fish that is not laying at the top dying, at least that I know off and I keep a pretty good log of my fish. They get logged when I add them and updated. Part of the hobby I enjoy. I would not recommend others add a water dragon to their tank. I think it has to be a water dragon priority tank lol. She is now just over 3 feet. Just had a vet visit because she has started laying eggs and I am battling getting her back to her prime weight wise... apparently she is just fine but the vet had some great additonal food options to try in additon I have full spectrum lighting (uva,uvb), twice a day fogging of her enclosure. I have the lighting fogging etc set on timers to prevent the seasonal lighting changes which can send them into wanting to breed and so far that has worked greatly. I like to be a perfectonist with my tank. She was only in the 75 gallon till she got to be about a foot because I they have such high mortality as babies I wanted a smaller environment to sort of micro manage. Actually the last picture of just her is only a few months old. You can see what I mean about getting her more prime. She looks a little scrawny to me since she started laying eggs. She's looking better since getting the egg laying stopped with the light timers.

I figured I would share a pic of my water dragon laying one of her eggs. In addition my water dragon breeding I have had luck with some fish breeding in my tank before the meltdown I mentioned in my first post. This includes common plecos (I posted more info about this experience in the catfish section), neons (had a school of 60+ and more fry sscooting) lost all of those in the meltdown but just added 10 last night. The neons laid when I would mist the water dragon set up with the water bottle, I think the like the rain. Then of course the constant development of breeding live bearers.
And a picture it the pleco ( more pics I'm my catfish post.)

Attachments

• IMG_831469957753123.jpeg
    IMG_831469957753123.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_831564171884043.jpeg
    IMG_831564171884043.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 88

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back