Green Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tristen

Reaction score
I have a 450l jewl rio 2020 model tank. Finally set it up and it turned green. After many attempts with different treatments I removed everything and used a new pump to set up again with no plants gravel or substrate. Just 10 Cichlids. Once again it has turned green!!!!!
Any advice on how to stop this and why this keeps happening. My 5ft and 6ft tank never had this problem. Could it be possible the lights could be too strong?
Thankyou kindly ☺

Green water is caused by too much light, too many nutrients, or not enough plants to use the light or nutrients.

Add live plants or reduce the lighting, and do some big water changes to dilute any nutrients in the water.

If problems persist, a uv filter usually does the trick

The best type of plant for this problem is a floating one since it can get all the CO2 it needs from the air. And as it grows it can reduce the light intensity and hopefully solve the issue. UV filters do also work.

A third approach is to put a pad in the water filter a pad that can filter out the small microscopic plants that cause this issue. Although not specifically designed for this purpose, I use this and it works very well at filtering out very small particles from the water. The problem with this approach is that it must occasionally be cleaned occasionally and eventually replaced when it gets clogged.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thankyou everyone. I also have co2 that I haven't set up yet. Maybe thats why it came with the tank?
Could I try that before a up filter?
I only have lights on for 8 hours a day.
Seems these newer tanks need more newer accessories just to maintain!!!!

Thankyou everyone. I also have co2 that I haven't set up yet. Maybe thats why it came with the tank?
Could I try that before a up filter?
I only have lights on for 8 hours a day.
Seems these newer tanks need more newer accessories just to maintain!!!!
Co2 is for a heavily planted tank.

Lots of plants outcompete algae for resources (light, nutrients and co2). If you provide these resources but have very little plant mass, then algae will make the most of it.

Do you have fish in there yet? If not, throw a bag of love daphnia in, they'll eat the green water. Then when you add fish, they'll have a delightful meal waiting for them

Co2 is for a heavily planted tank.

Lots of plants outcompete algae for resources (light, nutrients and co2). If you provide these resources but have very little plant mass, then algae will make the most of it.

Do you have fish in there yet? If not, throw a bag of love daphnia in, they'll eat the green water. Then when you add fish, they'll have a delightful meal waiting for them
I just did a 75% water change. Its looking better but it always come back green!! That's why I have nothing else in there yet....

Attachments

• 20210327_132935.jpg
    20210327_132935.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 66
I just did a 75% water change. Its looking better but it always come back green!! That's why I have nothing else in there yet....
I had discuss with substrate and plants the first time it went totally green. Then I moved them and started fresh with different pump and nothing else to see how it went. A week after I put Cichlids in the green was coming back :-(

It's going green because you have a light on the tank and no live plants, or not many live plants. Either reduce the lighting times or add some plants. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) will grow over the surface and can also be planted in the substrate, should you choose to add some.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back