Green water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ben Green

Reaction score
Hi everyone had my tank set up for about 4 or 5 months now was crystal clear when started for first few month last few weeks I've noticed that the water is green I do regualer filter cleanes and gravel hoover etc also tried a water change and hasn't made a difference could this be from the peice of drift wood?? I've just fitted a green water killing machine Into the tank hoping this will solve?? Regards Ben

Attachments

• IMG_20201030_204208.jpg
    IMG_20201030_204208.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 63
In the picture it looks more of a tea color than green. If that is the case, it is absolutely from the driftwood.

Driftwood can leech tannins that can make your water have a tea tint to it. It'll be clear, but colored. This is not bad for fish and actually beneficial to some. It'll go away in time as it leeches all out and is removed with water changes. If you can't handle the temporary look, remove the wood, do a big water change, and soak it in a bucket until its done turning the water brown.

Thought this was the case as water looks to be crystal clear just a greeny brown colour like stated cheers appriciate the reply

In the picture it looks more of a tea color than green. If that is the case, it is absolutely from the driftwood.

Driftwood can leech tannins that can make your water have a tea tint to it. It'll be clear, but colored. This is not bad for fish and actually beneficial to some. It'll go away in time as it leeches all out and is removed with water changes. If you can't handle the temporary look, remove the wood, do a big water change, and soak it in a bucket until its done turning the water brown.

I would have to agree as I have had this same issue in my tank. I dont mind the off color as I think it gives my tank more of a natural look. I have heard from people that you can boil the wood for hours to get the tannins out if the color was bothering you. I have not tried this myself so can't tell you if it work for sure but may be something you want to look into.

I've been beaten to it. Tannins are leaching, I'm fairly sure of that.
Lovely tank Ben.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back