Green tiger lotus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I received this two days ago from an online order in this condition, once in the water it began growing this fuzz around the top of the shoot...

I'm concerned it's like rotting?

They also sent me a red tiger lotus, which previously here I've learned doesn't take any sort of root disturbance. The first one I had was sent as a bulb and grew well, after I moved its position the leaves began rotting off. Third one sent me to with roots and leaves already grown, and within a day of planting, one leaf is rotting off... So its weird they'd send it like that when it cannot tolerate replanting.

I'll have to buy another as bulb form if there's no way of saving it.
.but as for the green one, can't tell if the shoot was growing or trimmed off somehow before sending.

Can you tell if it is mould or slime or something related to the growth? I fear removing it to clean it will for sure cause it death as the red one.
IMG_20220811_093120.jpg

I do not know about the fuzz on the lotus in your picture. However, I can say that red tiger lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri) can be moved and that they are quite resistant to movement, even if it may not be best for them.
I posted this in another forum, but reading your post, I thought it could be illustrative or at least of marginal interest here. I do not know of the long(er)-term prospectus of survival of my red tiger lotus, but its current appearance I consider nothing short of spectacular.

"...I ordered some plants over a year ago (AquaticPlants.com), and they included a lotus bulb as a freebie. For several months it did nothing, perhaps because it kept being rolled about by fish and current in the tank. Eventually it became somewhat anchored and developed some underwater leaves. Later it began to produce many larger and floating leaves, but at the same time the bulb itself was deteriorating possibly in part because the bushynose plecos like to chew on it.
With the bulb almost gone now, this plant has decided to bloom, rather spectacularly. I believe this may be its last gasp, but if so, it decided to go into demise with a big 'splash'. Hopefully it will actually survive? Photos with the bulb and flower were taken 3 days apart. Clearly it has grown too large for its standard 125g tank, and it wants to continue to grow outside the tank. I cannot leave the tank open because of (very) jumpy Hemiodus fish.
Photos - 1) aspect of tank with underwater leaves (barely visible, left corner, reddish leaves among other plants towards the bottom), 2) emerging bulb (water level down during water change), 3) flower in full splendor, 4) flower today [yesterday] with lid closed. Cheers!"
IMG_0021 crop.jpg

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

I do not know about the fuzz on the lotus in your picture. However, I can say that red tiger lotus (Nymphaea zenkeri) can be moved and that they are quite resistant to movement, even if it may not be best for them.
I posted this in another forum, but reading your post, I thought it could be illustrative or at least of marginal interest here. I do not know of the long(er)-term prospectus of survival of my red tiger lotus, but its current appearance I consider nothing short of spectacular.

"...I ordered some plants over a year ago (AquaticPlants.com), and they included a lotus bulb as a freebie. For several months it did nothing, perhaps because it kept being rolled about by fish and current in the tank. Eventually it became somewhat anchored and developed some underwater leaves. Later it began to produce many larger and floating leaves, but at the same time the bulb itself was deteriorating possibly in part because the bushynose plecos like to chew on it.
With the bulb almost gone now, this plant has decided to bloom, rather spectacularly. I believe this may be its last gasp, but if so, it decided to go into demise with a big 'splash'. Hopefully it will actually survive? Photos with the bulb and flower were taken 3 days apart. Clearly it has grown too large for its standard 125g tank, and it wants to continue to grow outside the tank. I cannot leave the tank open because of (very) jumpy Hemiodus fish.
Photos - 1) aspect of tank with underwater leaves (barely visible, left corner, reddish leaves among other plants towards the bottom), 2) emerging bulb (water level down during water change), 3) flower in full splendor, 4) flower today [yesterday] with lid closed. Cheers!"
View attachment 164648
View attachment 164649
View attachment 164650
View attachment 164651
Someone here grew them and said they spread like weeds and that they were not good with root disturbance. Mine started rotting leaf by leaf after being moved only.

Also, apparently they dislike heavy flow, whats your flow and parameters like and water pH?

I agree with DoubleDutch that the bulb in the photo looks more like an 'onion' (Crinum sp.) than like a lotus (Nymphaea). But I don't really know.

Regarding conditions in my tank with the blooming red Tiger Lotus -
I consider it High Flow, but heavy plant growth (see picture) baffle some of that flow - tank is filtered by an Aquaclear 110 on the left corner, a Fluval FX6 with spray bar pointed towards the front (a little downwards, and spanning 4 feet), and a Penguin 350 on the right side.
Water characteristics - pH 7-7.5. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate usually 10 or below. Water is on the softer side but I don't have a number. Temperature at 76F during much of the year, but between 82-85F now, even with heaters unplugged.
Water changes- ~75% weekly, with cleaning of filter media on HOB's. FX6 cleaning every 3-4 months. Prefilters in all filters cleaned weekly.
Lights- 2 3 foot Finnex LEDs spanning the 6 feet.
Fertilization - Seachem Flourish once per week, after water changes. Seachem Root Tabs once in a while, ~2-3 times per year.

If your picture is of a tiger lotus I don't think it is. I just happened to get a tiger lotus bulb a week ago. It has started to root but is still basically just a bulb. It looks nothing like your image.
IMG_2389.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back