Green Tiger barbs and Angels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonall

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on the keeping these fish together, i know the general advice is not to mix them due to the angels fins, but i have been viewing the behaviour of my remaining green tiger barbs, lost 4 out of 6 over the last week or so, i am assuming bad water quality in the newly established tank, although at least one of the barbs i believe was just bullied to death, the bully passed away too without much tears. he really was a nightmare, and since then the remaining 2 barbs have become much more friendly and less timid - to be honest im glad they made it out of all of them, they paired off pretty much as soon as they were added and because they were together were left alone much more by the bully.

I still dont know if its one male one female - Does anyone know a good way of telling, one does look slightly paler than the other but not too much, and only one has orange on the dorsal fin.

My fiancee had Angels before and really wants to get some again, I just wondered if anyone has any experience of keeping them together and whether like humans some barbs are more peaceful in nature than others or given time will thier aggressiveness return, looking at them now they seem so happy to be around other fish.

In my tank 24g i currently have 2 clown loaches a bristlenose plec and the 2 barbs, the barbs swim close by the others but never seem to bother them at all.

Im afraid these two dont mix at all, the barbs do love the flowing fins of the angels and their hyperactivity will make the angels nervous and aggressive in return.

Ken

A while back i got a couple of Angels in my main tank, they were in with 2 green TB's, 3 Ruby TB and 3 Normal TB's and a couple of clown loaches. I didn't see any aggro between them, well not any that caused any concern. But unfortunatly the angels never made it, after a week or so one of the angels just kicked the bucket, not sure why??? :no: then a few days later the other died, again not sure why?? they didnt have any damage on them, fins were all in good condition so i didnt think it was the TB's bullying them. needless to say i havent bought any more since. I know a few people in my area that have tried to keep Angels and failed. Must be something in the water????? :no: it is hard to very hard water (you only need to look at it to get a good kickin :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Well that was my experience with Angels. Not a good one, so i won't be getting any more.

Hope you have more luck, if ya get some?

I kept a pair of large, aggro, spawning angels in with a school of tigers for some time, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. Nobody was particularly thrilled with the arrangement. Like I say, my angels are very large and very dominant (because they spawn regularly), so they weren't taking any crap from the tiger barbs, but the tigers were more or less left to live in one corner of the tank, as a result. I would say what happened in my tank is MOST unusual, and that under most circumstances, the tigers would chase the angels into insanity. (still have the tigers and the angels, but not in the same tank anymore)

Also, you said you suspect your tigers died from being in a new tank? I wouldn't add angels to a new tank. They're fairly susceptible to poor water and will quickly develop hole in the head or refuse to eat.

One last thing, angels get very large under good conditions. If you were going to keep a pair in a 24g tank, they'd pretty much have to be the only occupants. You already have clown loaches in there (they will outgrow your tank) and a bristlenose; I don't think you're set up for angels at this time. Sorry. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back