Green Terror behaving oddly.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DanaK

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum and hoping someone can explain my GT’s strange behavior.
He swims sideways, upside down and acts odd. Not sure if it is swim bladder issue, gravel caught in digestive tract or breeding behavior. Any help would be appreciated.

That is definentely breeding beaviour. What are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled?

Thanks for the reply.
The tank is cycled. We do 20% water changes every two weeks. After seeing this behavior I tested the water and nitrate was high so for the last 3 days I have been doing 25% water changes every day.

The tank has been established for 4 years and we have a GT, jack dempsey and gold severum.
The gold severum is a female because in the past we have seen her lay eggs. I think the GT is a male because he has a pronounced bump on his head.

The GT actually ate peeled and cooked green peas from my hand today only about 3 of them though. I thought this would help if it is a swim bladder issue.

I kind of agree about the breeding behavior because the gold severum is being very attentive.
I have a video but I can figure out how to upload it to the forum.
That is definentely breeding beaviour. What are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled?

Could you post a video and pic?

In the future to help with water quality do at least 50% weekly :) 25% dosent get many bad things out at once and that amount after 2 weeks could cause major problems

The peas wont help if its swim bladder, bit they will if he is constipated. Constipation is often mistaken for swim bladder disease. Swim bladder disease is actually very u common in fish

Any chance of pictures of the fish and tank, and a video showing the fish swimming weird.

As JuiceBox mentioned, do bigger water changes to help keep the water in better shape. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the tank once a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If you have high nitrates or a sick fish, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two.

Thanks for the reply.
The tank is cycled. We do 20% water changes every two weeks. After seeing this behavior I tested the water and nitrate was high so for the last 3 days I have been doing 25% water changes every day.

The tank has been established for 4 years and we have a GT, jack dempsey and gold severum.
The gold severum is a female because in the past we have seen her lay eggs. I think the GT is a male because he has a pronounced bump on his head.

The GT actually ate peeled and cooked green peas from my hand today only about 3 of them though. I thought this would help if it is a swim bladder issue.

I kind of agree about the breeding behavior because the gold severum is being very attentive.
I have a video but I can figure out how to upload it to the forum.
Over the 4 years anything could happen and your cycle could crash so I would recommend you checking your water parameters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back