Green Spotted Puffers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Puffer_freak

Put the trombone down, *****!
Reaction score
Common Name/s: Green spotted Puffer

Scientific Name:
Tetraodon nigroviridis (tetraodon meaning 'four teeth')

Family: Tetraodon (puffer)

Origin: indo-China, Sri-Lanka, Malaysia that kind of area. They are found in streams and estuaries, also floodplains.

Maximum size:
up to 6 inches.
Care: They are brackish fish, that many people have success with in full marine. A sand substrate is prefferred. I personally use crushed coral sand, as they enjoy a pH, of around 8.0, which is slightly alkaline. Crushed coral sand gives off a higher ph slowly, and with these fish it is nothing to worry about! Minimum tank size of around 30 gallons for one - yes this might seem hypocritical coming from me, but I will get a larger tank for them.
They are aggressive fish, as all puffers are and should not be kept with anything else. I keep two juveniles and they are becoming incresingly more agressive. Only one per tank, or a large tank. There has been a small amount of success with keeping more than one in a tank.

Breeding: No recorded breedings in captivity as far as i know. They breed in freshwater and the eggs are laid on rocks. The male will take the role of guarding the eggs. According to my book, they can be captive bred. However, you cannot tell the difference between a male and female without dissecting one, so it is virtually impossible.

Comments: The fish are incredibly personable. In my experience, they know exactly what is going on outside of the tank. when kept properly, their colouration is beautiful and very bright, although the exact colour and amount of spots varies from fish to fish. Very hard to photograph.
Not a beginners fish.

puffer.jpg

Im having great success with breeding these! jk..bad joke lol
On a serious note though... I have my Two GSP's one about 3 inches, and the other a lot fatter, but maybe only an inch bigger I would say, and I keep them with two Dalmatian Mollies, and a Dragon Fish with no problems, but some fin picking by the bigger puffer on the Dragon Fish, that was easily fixed by more hiding spots for my Dragon. From my experience it just depends on the temperament of the puffer which as we know varies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back