Green spot algae... how do I treat this stubborn stuff?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Having successfully defeated Cyanobacteria, hair algae and staghorn through persistent water changes and adjustments to fertilisers I have a new nemesis.... A pale green/white crust that blooms across the glass and is extremely resistant to scrubbing. At first I thought it might be scale, but as only one tank has it I recon itā€™s algae. I may have made it more of a problem as I initially quite liked the way it gave texture to my backdrop and I didnā€™t clean it off. What does it like/dislike? How have you guys treated it in your tanks?

Attachments

• 878DE3FB-DD61-458B-81D0-5D031F2CC11F.jpeg
    878DE3FB-DD61-458B-81D0-5D031F2CC11F.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 159
Having successfully defeated Cyanobacteria, hair algae and staghorn through persistent water changes and adjustments to fertilisers I have a new nemesis.... A pale green/white crust that blooms across the glass and is extremely resistant to scrubbing. At first I thought it might be scale, but as only one tank has it I recon itā€™s algae. I may have made it more of a problem as I initially quite liked the way it gave texture to my backdrop and I didnā€™t clean it off. What does it like/dislike? How have you guys treated it in your tanks?
As far as algaes go green spot algae is one of the less problematic algaes, decreasing length or intensity of light will usually effectively decrease growth of green spot algae. Scrubbing with an aquarium sponge is effective and having snails that clean glass will help manage the film on glass that preceeds algae. Green spot algae is more a sign of a light imbalance than a nutrient imbalance.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back