Green pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

angelfish123

Reaction score
hello, could i have some advice i set up a small pond which started as a water feature
but you know what its like, i wanted some fisheys init, the water is very green and the fish seem lifeless the last couple of days. no chemicals have been put in only 4 whitespot which has cleared up, the second dose went in today,
the fish dont swim away if you put yr hand near them even,
please could i have some advice ,

kim :angel:

nearly forgot to say its 2 months old

thanks

How big is the pond and the fish? Sounds like oxygen starvation perhaps - where do you live- is it hot weather at the moment? Get a filter+ pump or even fountain ASAP if you do not have one already.

well, the green water not only doesnt hurt them, but its good for them. As for lifelessness have they suffered from a condition known as death? if they are sluggish perhaps the whitespot treatment isnt sitting well, they are often copper based and copper will make your fish slugish and may even kill them.

hellllllo yes sorry i forgot 2 say the pond is 4ft long and 2ft deep yes it has a pump and filter it has the fountain on all day the fish have been happy till now :(

thanks 4 yr response

kim

yes i live in the midlands the weather is hot the pond isnt in the direct sun its in the shade,

kim

Try cleaning the filter it does sound like your fish aren't getting enough oxygen. If it needs topping up with water do that also.

Or even better- if you wanted to do a waterchange of 25-40% - the water can go over your garden plants (is better for them than tap water also). That will ensure nothing is wrong, you didn't say how big the fish were- although i gather there are 4 of them - if they are say koi, and are bigger- than it could be that they are producing enough waste to have a cycling effect on your pond- We really need a third dimension for your pond.

It is 4x2ft - is it a square or a rectangle (in which case what is the other side length) - or what shape is it.

I'd agree with William. Algae reduces the oxygen content of the water drastically and this will affect the fishes activity levels. The best answer is a UV light which will clear the algae in a day or so if it is suspended in the water, however, this will not be the case if it is blanket weed. Alternatively you could perform several large water changes over a period of days.

:D Thank you for your advice i will get on and do that today, i have been topping the water up at night tho

kim

on top of all that advice i would also ask you to get your water tested for ammonia and nitrites as well.

General rule of thumb here in Michigan (lots of summer sunlight) is filter capacity should be about 1/12 of pond capacity. ie 300 gallon pond would use a 25 gallon filter. Pump capacity turns over water at least twice an hour (more is better). Seed the filter with beneficial bacteria availiable through your supplier or internet. Split the pump line with a tee and valve so some of the water can go to the filter and some can go to a venturi to add accelerated air into the pond. Also availiable through your supplier or internet. Use a filter box with a spillway and place above pond to create a waterfall which will add more oxygen to your pond. Use some floating plants to shade the water.

Cheers,
Todd

Most reactions

Back