GREEN OVER NIGHT

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bigbadbruce

Reaction score
Please help had a happy healthy tank for 2 years, changed the water and pump the other day as old pump stopped working now over night it’s gone from Crystal clear to green.

Changed some water again and put in tap safe and algae removal, once again has gone green over night.

The pump I put back in has been cleaned and left in the cupboard incase or emergency if the new one was to break. I’m thinking this might have something to do with it? I haven’t not anything else different and am completely confused as to why this is happening?

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 77445E24-8A2C-4C29-A64D-4037593ADD3B.jpeg
    77445E24-8A2C-4C29-A64D-4037593ADD3B.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 66
I don't know why the pump failure would cause this. But you could get UV serialized. They circulate a small amount of water through a chamber with UV light. The light any algae and bacteria, or parasites floating in the water. The other option is to put in a filteringp that would trap the smalll green algae cells in the filter. Once the filtering pad clogs up it has to be replaced. Although not designed for this 3M polishing pads work well

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If its phytoplankton the easiest and most natural way is to block the light for 3 or 4 days, feed your fish still. But being starved of a light source will kill them easily. My mom just had this same green water issue. Sometimes they're already present in tap, or plants or soil even and just need the boost of light to start a bloom. Essentially harmless but an eerie sore and a panic. My mom was crying, I swear

Looks like an algal bloom and nothing major to worry about. Algae grows in any water that gets light. If you have lots of light then algae does well. If you have lots of live plants, the plants use the light and nutrients and limit the algae. Your tank does not appear to have any live plants and algae will grow instead.

Reduce the lighting times and or add some live aquatic plants. Floating plants like Duckweed and Water Sprite are fast growing and the goldfish can eat them.

--------
If you replaced the filter media when you changed the filter, you might have removed all the good filter bacteria and the tank is cycling again. Cycling is where the filter develops colonies of good bacteria that keep ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm so they don't poison the fish. If you did change the filter media, you might have ammonia in the water and that triggered the algal bloom.

The safest way to deal with a tank cycling or an algal bloom is to do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two until the problem is resolved.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back