Green House

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

regarding your earlier question of wondering whether you can still grow stuff outdoors in your climate: if you are in the USA, you can look up your USDA hardiness zone, and match your plants to that. I have seen in some garden forums that people in the UK either have a similar system or use a cross mapping and they discuss hardiness zones as well. If you do not have a hardiness zone for your area, then you should be able to find the average lows/highs and precipitation for your region from your local weather station or national weather forecast authority, and match that against the USDA chart to get the approximate hardiness zone. This can be a useful rule of thumb for determining what plants will be able to grow outside all year long. (as I write this, I am looking out the window at the mustard in our garden that is starting to peek its green leaves through the melting snow haha).

If you grow in containers and you only get a few frosts/year, you may be able to simply move your plants inside overnight on nights when a frost is predicted (some folks even permanently leave their pots on wagons to help with moving them), and that way you should be able to grow your peppers and herbs year round!

Finally, have you considered indoor growing? Herbs especially are very happy just on a windowsill (and if you are in a warmer climate you should get enough light through your windows to not need a grow light). On the other end of the spectrum, I set up at 40gal cement mixing tub in our basement and got a grow light for it, and I am currently growing radishes (which are taking over everything, poor planting planning on my part), lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes (the cukes and tomatoes are an experiment), turnips, beets (probably wont produce, but will at least have beet greens), swiss chard, winter cress, dill, basil and broccoli (Which was transferred in a pot from our yard). there are many avenues for gardening!!
For the US hardiness Zones I am in zone 7. I did consider growing them inside but I don't really have a place to put the plants where they would get enough lighting. :)

Thanks! for the fertilizer, I found this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWJRU38/?tag=ff0d01-20 would that work better? :) I won't use water from my 29 gallon tank (since that's the one with the medication) Instead I will use the water from my Betta tanks.
That fertiliser is the same as the other one except it's twice as strong, so you could use it at half strength and it would be the same as the first brand.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You should be totally fine in zone 7! I am zone 6 and some folks grow almost year round here in hoop houses, so with some planning and the right setup (maybe a couple of cold frames?) You should be golden outside!!

Our greenhouse is different in design, but similar in dimensions. It is bolted to a South facing wall not far from our back door. I set it up two years ago and it has produced tomatoes, a few cucumbers and large numbers of peppers and chillies. We have been very pleased with it - it is FAR from useless.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back